Finding cheaper rates for Cold Spring auto insurance can seem to be a challenge for drivers who are beginners to shopping for insurance online. Consumers have so many choices that it can easily turn into a ton of work to find more affordable rates.
Consumers need to do price comparisons yearly since prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you think you had the best quotes at your last renewal you will most likely find a better rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because it’s time to teach you the right way to save on auto insurance.
More discounts mean lower premiums
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you can get discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you get a quote, but some need to be asked about before they will apply.
- Good Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their as compared to drivers with claims.
- Life Insurance – Some companies give lower premium rates if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Homeowners Savings – Being a homeowner can get you a discount since owning and maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a course that instructs on driving safety could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it’s just not the way it works. Any qualifying discounts will definitely lower your overall premium however.
Larger auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for multiple autos, good student, driver’s education, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple policy, and passive restraint.
- American Family has savings for bundled insurance, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, Steer into Savings, good student, early bird, and defensive driver.
- Geico offers discounts for military active duty, good student, membership and employees, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, and daytime running lights.
- 21st Century may include discounts for good student, theft prevention, air bags, automatic seat belts, 55 and older, driver training, and defensive driver.
- Progressive may have discounts that include online signing, homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and good student.
When quoting, ask every insurance company what discounts are available to you. Discounts might not be offered on policies in your area. To see a list of companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Cold Spring, follow this link.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When buying proper insurance coverage, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For instance, these questions might point out whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Cold Spring?
- Do no-fault laws apply in Kentucky?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
When to get advice from a local insurance agent
A small number of people still like to visit with an insurance agent. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get the best rates and still buy from a local agent.
After filling out this simple form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to companies in Cold Spring who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to even leave your home as quotes are delivered directly to you. You can find the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, just go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Deciding on an provider requires more thought than just the quoted price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- How often do they review coverages?
Do you need an independent or captive car insurance agent?
If you are searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, it helps to know the two different types of agents and how they operate. Agents are classified as either captive or independent (non-captive).
Captive Auto Insurance Agents
These agents write business for a single company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are well trained on their company’s products which can be an advantage. Some consumers prefer to buy from the same agent for years mainly due to the brand instead of buying on price only.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your premiums go up, the business is moved internally and you stay with the same agent. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, we recommend you get several quotes from a couple of independent agencies to have the best price comparison. Most also have access to mutual insurance companies who may have lower rates.
Save $384 a year. For real?
Big name companies like State Farm, Geico and Progressive regularly use ads in print and on television. All the ads advertise the message that drivers can save some big amount if you just switch your coverage to them. Is it even possible that every company can charge you less for car insurance? It’s all in the words they use.
Companies can use profiling for the right customer that earns them the highest profit. One example of a preferred risk might be described as a mature driver, has few claims, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Anyone that matches those criteria will get very good Cold Spring car insurance rates and have a good chance to pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential customers who don’t measure up to these stringent criteria may be required to pay higher rates which leads to business not being written. If you pay attention, the ads say “drivers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save the amount stated. That’s the way insurance companies can lure you into getting a quote. That is why drivers must get a wide range of price quotes. It’s not possible to predict which insurance companies will have the best prices for your profile.
More Kentucky auto insurance information
Even more information can be found at the Kentucky Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to find out which companies have the most complaints, file complaints about a company, view a list of available companies, and find disaster information.
Other informative sites include QuoteClickInsure.com and this page for help finding agents in Cold Spring, KY.
Be persistent and save
Cheap auto insurance is available on the web and from local agencies, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not offer price quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers sell through independent agencies.
You just read a lot of ways to get a better price on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your prices. Consumers may even find the lowest premium rates are with a small mutual company.
When buying insurance coverage, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later they didn’t have enough coverage. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.