Confused by the wide range of auto insurance companies in Custer? You’re not the only one! You have so many options available that it can be a big hassle to find the best price.
Consumers need to take a look at other company’s rates occasionally because insurance rates trend upward over time. Even if you think you had the best rates a few years ago there may be better deals available now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to the only way to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
Comprehensive Auto Insurance Comparison in Custer, SD
Shopping for lower auto insurance rates can be a daunting task if you don’t utilize the best way to get rate quotes. You could waste a few hours driving to agents in Custer, or you could use online quotes to get prices fast.
The majority of car insurance companies belong to an insurance system where insurance shoppers enter their coverage request one time, and each participating company then returns a price quote for coverage. This prevents consumers from doing quote forms to each individual auto insurance company.
To submit your quote information now, click here to start a free quote.
One minor caviat to comparing rates this way is that you can’t choose which companies you want pricing from. So if you prefer to pick individual companies to request quotes from, we have a page of companies who write auto insurance in South Dakota. Click here for list of insurance companies in South Dakota.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-14.jpg" alt="South Dakota auto insurance“/>
Which method you use is up to you, but make sure you use the exact same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote you get. If each company quotes different liability limits it will be next to impossible to determine the lowest rate in Custer.
Don’t miss out on these money-saving discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list every discount in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list both the well known and the more hidden auto insurance savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Discount for Good Grades – Performing well in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- No Claims – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts compared to frequent claim filers.
- Accident Waiver – Some insurance companies permit an accident without raising rates if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Multiple Cars – Buying insurance for all your vehicles on the same auto insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won’t be that lucky.
To see a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts in South Dakota, click here.
Understand what determines the rate you pay
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what determines base rates enables informed choices that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
- Multiple policies with one company can save – The majority of auto insurance companies will give a discount to policyholders who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even with this discount, you still need to compare other company rates to ensure the best deal. Consumers may find better rates by splitting coverages up.
- Your spouse saves you money – Getting married can get you a discount on auto insurance. Marriage translates into being more mature than a single person and it’s statistically proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Where you live can impact rates – Being located in a rural area can be a good thing when talking about auto insurance. City drivers tend to have much more traffic and longer commute times. Lower population means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Performance makes a difference – The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. Low performance passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Save money with special equipment – Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
Quote more, save more
When buying insurance coverage, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where someone dropped physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
People who switch companies do it for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, high rates after DUI convictions, questionable increases in premium or not issuing a premium refund. Whatever your reason, finding a great new company can be pretty painless.
Affordable auto insurance can be sourced on the web and with local Custer insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some auto insurance companies do not offer online quoting and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
Even more information can be read at the South Dakota Division of Insurance website. South Dakota drivers can discover disciplinary actions, get help finding coverage, view agent and company licensing information, and learn about specific coverages.