Sick and tired of paying out the nose to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than the majority of other car owners in Washington. Insurance companies such as Allstate and Progressive promote their brand names with TV and radio ads and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the flashy ads and find the best price available.
It’s important to compare rates every six months because rates change frequently. Even if you got the best deal on your last policy a different company probably has better rates today. There is a lot of bad advice regarding car insurance online, so by reading this article, you’re going to learn some solid techniques on how to slash your car insurance rates.
If you have a policy now or are looking for a new policy, you will benefit by learning to shop for the lowest rates while maintaining coverages. Finding the best rates in Edmonds is not rocket science. Washington vehicle owners just need to understand the proper way to find the lowest price on the web.
Decisions you make can impact your rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that go into determining car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower car insurance prices.
- Performance influences rates – The type of vehicle you are insuring makes a huge difference in determining your rates. Small economy passenger cars receive the most favorable rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- How’s your driving record? – Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. Just one moving violation can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have serious citations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Never allow your policy to lapse – Letting your insurance expire will be a quick way to increase your car insurance rates. And not only will your rates increase, but not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.Then you may be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Washington motor vehicle department.
- Claim-free discounts can add up – Insurance companies in Washington provide lower rates to drivers who file claims infrequently. If you file claims often, you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Auto insurance is designed for larger claims.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Your policy’s liability coverage provides coverage if ever you are found to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability insurance provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Drive a safer car and pay less – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you.
- Lower rates come with age – Teenage drivers in Washington are statistically proven to be more careless when driving so car insurance rates are higher. Having to add a youthful driver onto your car insurance can break the bank. More mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are a lot of add-on coverages that you can buy when buying car insurance. Coverages like roadside assistance, towing coverage and membership fees may be costing you every month. They may seem like a good idea when talking to your agent, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
Don’t pay full price with these discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, buy you may qualify for discounts to help bring down the price. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested before you get the savings. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in certain professional organizations could qualify you for a break on car insurance.
- Discount for New Cars – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Driver Safety – Taking part in a course in driver safety could save 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off your medical payments premium.
Consumers should know that some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. But any discount will reduce the amount you have to pay.
Additional car insurance information can be read on the website for the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner. Click here for link. Visitors are able to find a variety of consumer forms, get help finding coverage, and file complaints about a company.
And the best car insurance company is…
The cheapest car insurance is possible on the web and with local Edmonds insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not offer online price quotes and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
You just read a lot of information how to lower your car insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may discover the lowest rates come from a smaller regional carrier. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.