Finding lower rates for Greenwood auto insurance can seem to be challenging for people who are new to comparing rates online. Drivers have so many options available that it can be a real challenge to find the best price in Greenwood.
It’s important to compare prices quite often because prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Just because you found the best deal a year ago you may be paying too much now. Don’t believe everything you read about auto insurance on the web, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some of the best ways to slash your auto insurance rates.
If you currently have car insurance, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using these methods. Buying the cheapest coverage in Greenwood is quite easy. But Mississippi drivers benefit from understanding how the larger insurance companies sell insurance online and take advantage of how the system works.
Comprehensive Greenwood Auto Insurance Comparison
Most companies provide coverage price quotes on their websites. Obtaining pricing is fairly simple as you just type in into a form. When the form is submitted, the system automatically orders information on your driving record and credit history and gives you a price quote.
Being able to quote online makes comparing rates easy, but the time it takes to visit different websites and type in the same information is not the best way to spend an afternoon. But it’s very important to do this if you are searching for the lowest auto insurance rates.
Rate comparisons made easy
The preferred way to lower your rates is to use a quote form that analyzes rates from several companies at one time. It’s a real time-saver, eliminates form submissions, and makes online shopping much more efficient. After your information is entered, it is quoted and you are able to buy your choice of the price quotes you receive. If a lower price is quoted, you simply finish the application and purchase coverage. This process can be completed in a matter of minutes and can result in significant savings.
In order to find out how much you’re overpaying now, click here to open in new window and fill out the form. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you input the insurance coverages as shown on your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you are getting a rate comparison using the exact same coverages.
How much can you save with discounts?
Car insurance companies do not advertise all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down some of the best known and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Keeping the miles down could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Memberships – Affiliation with a professional or civic organization may earn a discount on your policy.
- Resident Student – Kids in college living away from home attending college and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Senior Citizens – If you’re over the age of 55, you can possibly qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
To see a list of companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Mississippi, click this link.
Smart Buyers can Save Money
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that go into determining auto insurance rates. Understanding what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that can help you get big savings.
- Higher deductibles cost less – Your deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, vandalism, and windstorm damage. The more you’re willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- You might want pay the small claims yourself – Car insurance companies in Mississippi give cheaper rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
- Rates may be higher depending on your occupation – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations like lawyers, social workers and accountants have higher rates than average due to stressful work requirements and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, occupations such as pilots, athletes and homemakers get better rates.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are quite a few additional coverages that you can buy when buying auto insurance. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and additional equipment coverage may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment at first, but now you might not need them so eliminate them to save money.
- Liability coverage protects you – Liability insurance will protect you when a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It provides for a legal defense starting from day one. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Drive less and save money – The more miles you rack up on your car every year the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies price each vehicle’s coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate compared to those used for work or business. Ask your agent if your auto insurance policy properly reflects how each vehicle is driven, because it can save money.
- Car features impact rates – Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can help prevent car theft.
Additional detailed information can be read at the Mississippi Insurance Department website. Visitors are able to view agent and company licensing information, file complaints about a company, read industry bulletins, and view a list of available companies.
These articles may also be worth reading.
- Best 5 Tricks to Save on Car Insurance in Greenwood
- Buy Greenwood, SC Car Insurance Cheaper With These Proven Techniques
- Top 5 Ways to Save on Car Insurance in Greenwood South Carolina
The auto insurance bait and switch
Auto insurance providers like GEICO, State Farm and Progressive regularly use ads in print and on television. They all make an identical promise of big savings if you move your policy. How does each company make the same claim? This is how they do it.
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the right customer that makes them money. For example, a driver they prefer could be over the age of 50, is a homeowner, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any driver who matches those parameters is entitled to the best price and therefore will cut their rates substantially.
Drivers who don’t qualify for the “perfect” profile will be charged a more expensive rate which usually ends up with business not being written. The ads say “customers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. That’s the way companies can truthfully make the claims of big savings. That is why you absolutely need to get as many quotes as possible. It’s not possible to predict which insurance companies will have the lowest rates.
A little work can save a LOT of money
Insureds who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as poor customer service, high prices, extreme rates for teen drivers or high rates after DUI convictions. Regardless of your reason, switching companies can be pretty painless.
You just read quite a bit of information on how to lower your auto insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even find the biggest savings come from a small mutual company.
When you buy insurance online, don’t be tempted to reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.