Searching for discount Jacksonville auto insurance on the internet can seem to be somewhat intimidating for online price comparisons. With so many agents and companies competing online, how can Jacksonville drivers even start to compare every company in order to find better prices?
Consumers need to compare rates quite often since prices are constantly changing. Just because you found the best deal a couple years back you can probably find a lower rate today. Don’t believe everything you read about auto insurance on the web, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn a lot of great tips on how to lower your auto insurance rates.
Cutting your auto insurance rates is an easy way to save money. The only thing you need to do is take a couple of minutes comparing rate quotes to find the company with . It’s really simple and can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
The first (and easiest) way to find the lowest comparison rates is a comparison rater form click to view form in new window. This quick form prevents you from having to do repetitive form submissions for each company. One form submission gets rate comparisons instantly. Just one form and you’re done.
A more difficult way to analyze rates is going to the website for each individual company and repeat the quote process again and again. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want to compare Nationwide, Farmers and Travelers. To get each rate you have to visit each site and repeatedly enter your information, which can get old fast.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in Jacksonville, click here.
The least recommended method to find lower rates is to spend your day driving to all the different Jacksonville insurance agencies. Quoting and buying insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you have a need for the professional advice that you can only get from talking to an agent. If you prefer, some companies allow you to comparison shop online but still have the advice of a local agent.
Take whichever approach you prefer, but make sure you are using exactly the same deductibles and coverage limits with every price quote. If you are comparing unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be next to impossible to make a fair comparison in Jacksonville.
Why your cost might be higher
Lots of factors are used when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, although others are more obscure such as your marital status or how financially stable you are.
Shown below are some of the major factors used by companies to determine your premiums.
- Drivers with good credit save on auto insurance – Your credit score factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. People with excellent credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers with lower credit ratings. Therefore, if your credit score is not that good, you could save money insuring your vehicle by repairing your credit.
- Extra policy coverages can cost a lot – Insurance companies have many extra bells and whistles that may not really be needed on your auto insurance policy. Coverage for things like vanishing deductibles, better glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but if you don’t need them get rid of them and save.
- Insure your auto and home with one company – Some auto insurance companies provide lower prices to insureds who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to compare rates to help guarantee you have the best rates.
- Performance makes a difference – The make and model of the car you drive makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. The lowest premiums tend to be for economy passenger models, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Keep auto insurance claims to a minimum – Companies in Alabama give most affordable rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Which gender costs less? – Over time, data shows that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Males and females cause at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species get into accidents with more damage. Not only that, but men also get more serious tickets such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Youthful male drivers are the most expensive to insure and therefore have the most expensive auto insurance rates.
- Get a ticket, pay higher premiums – Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Only having one ticket can increase rates to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers who get careless citations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may be required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to legally drive.
- Premiums are high for teenagers – Inexperience drivers are proven to be inattentive when driving and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher. Parents adding a young driver onto a policy can break the bank. Older drivers have been proven to be more responsible, file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Companies don’t list their entire list of discounts very well, so we researched some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous discounts you could be receiving when you .
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease with a few auto insurance companies.
- Defensive Driver – Taking a course that instructs on driving safety may get you a small discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Drivers Education – Have your child enroll and complete driver’s education in high school.
- Military Discounts – Being on active deployment in the military can result in better prices.
- Smart Student Discounts – Getting good grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
As a footnote on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of insurers that offer discounts in Alabama, click this link.
It’s not one size fits all
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For instance, these questions might help in determining if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Alabama?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Comparing quotes from local Jacksonville auto insurance agents
Certain consumers still prefer to buy from a local agent and that is not a bad decision Professional agents will help you protect your assets and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of comparing auto insurance online is that you can find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
Upon completion of this short form, the coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Jacksonville that can give you for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. If you need to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, just visit that company’s website and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right insurer needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
When finding a reputable agency, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they operate. Auto insurance agencies are classified as either independent or captive depending on the company they work for. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth learning the difference in how they write coverage because it can factor into which type of agent you select.
Captive Insurance Agents
Agents in the captive channel can only quote rates from one company such as Allstate and State Farm. Captive agencies are unable to provide other company’s prices so you might not find the best rates. These agents are well schooled on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some people will only buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand rather than low price.
Listed below are Jacksonville captive insurance agents willing to provide price quotes.
- Allstate Insurance – 613 Pelham Rd S # 1 – Jacksonville, AL 36265 – (256) 435-1200
- State Farm Insurance – 408 Pelham Rd N – Jacksonville, AL 36265 – (256) 435-6712
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are not restriced to one company so they can insure your vehicles through many different auto insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. To move your coverage to a new company, your policy is moved internally which is easy for the insured. When comparing rate quotes, we recommend you check rates from a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection. Most independent agents also contract with companies that do not advertise much that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Shown below is a list of independent agencies in Jacksonville that are able to give rate quotes.
- Calhoun County Insurance Ctr – 1590 Pelham Rd S # 3 – Jacksonville, AL 36265 – (256) 435-2242
For more licensed insurance agents in Jacksonville, please visit this directory of Jacksonville, AL auto insurance agents.
Quote often and quote early
Low-cost auto insurance can be found both online as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some companies may not provide rate quotes online and many times these regional carriers only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you shop your coverage around, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that they should have had better coverage. Your goal is to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Throughout this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to lower your auto insurance premium rates. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding . Consumers may even find the best price on auto insurance is with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Even more information is located at the Alabama Department of Insurance website. Consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, get help finding coverage, read consumer alerts, and read state legal mandates and laws.
The articles below may also help you learn more about auto insurance in Jacksonville