Finding budget-priced Kelso auto insurance can appear to be problematic for people not familiar with buying insurance online. Since there are so many online companies available, how are people able to efficiently compare every company to locate better rates?
You should make it a habit to do price comparisons once or twice a year since insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Even if you got the best quotes six months ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you’re about to find out the tricks you need to know to buy cheaper auto insurance.
Get more affordable auto insurance with these tips
Many things are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, but other factors are not as apparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating. A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing some of the elements that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in better auto insurance rates.
- Premiums are high for teenagers – More mature drivers are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents , and are generally more financially stable.Teen drivers are proven to be less responsible behind the wheel and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Your occupation can affect prices – Occupations like military personnel, social workers and emergency personnel generally have higher rates than average attributed to high stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the other hand, careers such as actors, historians and retirees pay lower than average rates.
- Gender and car insurance – Over time, data shows that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. Males and females tend to get into at-fault accidents in similar numbers, but the males have accidents that have higher claims. Men also tend to get higher numbers of serious violations like DUI and reckless driving. Male teenagers are several times more likely to be in an accident and therefore pay the highest rates.
- Always keep your policy in force – Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a guaranteed way to increase your auto insurance rates. In addition to paying higher rates, getting caught without coverage could earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
The quickest way to get rate comparisons is to understand most insurance companies will pay a fee to compare their rates. The only thing you need to do is give the companies some data including how you use your vehicles, if it has an alarm system, your general credit rating, and level of coverage desired. Your rating data is instantly submitted to multiple companies and they respond with quotes very quickly.
To get price quotes for your car now, click here and find out if lower rates are available.
Auto insurance advertising gotchas
Big name companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive continually stream television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to make the point of big savings if you change your policy. How is it plausible that every one can make the same claim? It’s all in the wording.
Companies have specific criteria for the type of customer that will be a good risk. A good example of a preferred risk may need to be a female over age 40, carries high limits, and drives a safe vehicle. Any person who matches those parameters will probably get the lowest rates and most likely will save if they switch.
Insureds who do not fit the ideal profile will probably have to pay higher rates and the customer buying from a different company. If you listen closely, the ads state “drivers that switch” but not “all drivers who get quotes” save that much when switching. That is how insurance companies can lure you into getting a quote. This really drives home the point why you should compare price quotes frequently. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which company will have the lowest rates.
You may qualify for discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there may be some discounts to reduce the price significantly. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you quote, but some discounts are required to be specially asked for before you will receive the discount. If they aren’t giving you every credit possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with a few auto insurance companies.
- Discount for New Cars – Buying a new car instead of a used car can cost up to 25% less since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Taking a defensive driving class could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying insurance for primary and secondary vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just owning your own home can save a few bucks due to the fact that maintaining a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Professional Organizations – Being in a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on your next auto insurance statement.
- Driver’s Ed – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them sucessfully take a drivers education course in school.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles and insure them both with the same insurance company you may save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Theft Deterent System – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates you could get a free auto insurance policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
To view auto insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Kelso, click here to view.
There’s no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form.
Additional detailed information is located at the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner website. Consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, find out industry alerts, and learn about specific coverages.
More quotes mean more savings
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
Cost effective auto insurance can be purchased from both online companies and from local agencies, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies don’t offer online rate quotes and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent agencies.
We just covered a lot of techniques to save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding . Drivers may discover the best price on auto insurance is with some of the smallest insurance companies.