Scraping up a payment for overpriced car insurance can dwindle your bank account and make it impossible to make ends meet. Doing a price comparison is a smart way to tighten up your finances.
With so many companies to choose from, it can be hard to find the lowest price insurance company.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t list every discount very well, so we researched some of the best known and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new car is cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Club Memberships – Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
A little note about advertised discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears you could get a free car insurance policy, you won’t be that lucky.
To choose insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts in South Dakota, follow this link.
Is my situation unique?
When buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so this has to be addressed. For example, these questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my vehicle to commute?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Don’t be fooled by advertising claims
Car insurance providers like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive regularly use television and radio advertisements. They all make the same claim of big savings if you move your policy. How can each company say the same thing? This is how they do it.
All companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer they prefer to insure. For example, a profitable customer could possibly be over the age of 40, is a homeowner, and has a high credit rating. A propective insured who matches those parameters gets the lowest rates and as a result will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential insureds who fall outside these standards will have to pay a more expensive rate and this can result in the customer not buying. The ads state “drivers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much. That’s why insurance companies can confidently claim big savings. Because of the profiling, drivers must compare as many rates as you can. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest rates.
To learn more about car insurance in South Dakota
More detailed South Dakota car insurance information is available at the South Dakota Division of Insurance website. South Dakota drivers can view agent and company licensing information, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and discover disciplinary actions.
Best coverage at the best price
Lower-priced car insurance is attainable both online in addition to many Milbank insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers do not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
You just learned a lot of techniques to lower your car insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.