Being forced to pay for overpriced auto insurance premiums can empty your monthly budget and make it impossible to make ends meet. Shopping your coverage around is free and is an excellent way to cut your insurance bill.
Insurance companies such as State Farm, Allstate, Geico and Progressive all claim big savings, bombarding you with fancy advertisements and it is challenging if not impossible to separate fact from fiction and do the work needed to find the best deal.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you will be able to save some money using these methods. Finding affordable coverage in North Bend is not rocket science. But Oregon vehicle owners can benefit by having an understanding of the way insurance companies price insurance differently and apply this information to your search.
Shopping for lower auto insurance rates can be a lot of work if you don’t understand the most efficient way to do it. You can waste hours talking about coverages with agents in North Bend, or you could save time and use online quotes to maximize your effort.
Many companies belong to an insurance system that allows shoppers to enter their policy data once, and each participating company can provide price quotes. This prevents consumers from doing repetitive form submissions for every auto insurance company.
To get comparison pricing now click to open in new window.
The one downside to getting quotes like this is you cannot specify the providers you will receive quotes from. So if you prefer to choose individual companies to request quotes from, we have a page of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Oregon. Click here for list of insurance companies in Oregon.
Compare rates however you want, just make sure you use the exact same deductibles and coverage limits on every quote you get. If your comparisons have unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be next to impossible to make a fair comparison in North Bend. Even a minor difference in insurance coverages or limits may result in large price differences. Just remember that comparing a large number of companies provides better odds of finding a lower rate.
Auto insurance buyers beware
Big name companies like Allstate, Geico and Progressive continually stream television and radio advertisements. All the ads state the claim about how much you will save just by moving your policy. How can each company give you a better price? This is how they do it.
Companies provide the lowest rates for a prospective insured that will not have excessive claims. For instance, this type of driver should be over the age of 45, is a homeowner, and does not commute to work. Any customer who fits that profile will get very good North Bend prices and will most likely save quite a bit of money when switching.
People who do not fit the requirements will see more expensive rates and the customer buying from a different company. The ads state “people who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save the amount stated. That’s why insurance companies can confidently state the savings. That is why you need to get a wide range of price quotes. It is impossible to predict with any certainty which company will fit you best based on your risk profile.
What determines your policy premium?
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing some of the factors that aid in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you understand what controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find lower auto insurance prices.
Listed below are some of the most rate-impacting factors used by insurance companies to determine your prices.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use – The more you drive every year the more it will cost to insure it. Many insurance companies charge rates based upon how much you drive. Vehicles that sit idle most of the time can get a lower rate compared to those used for work or business. Verify your auto insurance coverage reflects the proper vehicle usage.
- Prevent theft and save money – Buying a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft devices such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Eliminate unneeded extra coverages – Insurance companies have many additional extra coverages you can purchase on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for things like personal injury protection, death and dismemberment, and additional equipment coverage could be just wasting money. The coverages may be enticing when buying your policy, but if you have no use for them think about removing them and cutting costs.
- High deductibles equal low rates – Physical damage deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend before your auto insurance pays a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, animal collisions, and damage from wind. The more of the claim the insured is willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
Auto insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Auto insurance companies do not advertise the complete list of policy discounts very clearly, so the next list breaks down a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you can inquire about if you .
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your entire bill at once instead of making monthly payments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems can stop better under adverse conditions and will save you 10% or more.
- Theft Deterent – Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently so companies will give you a small discount.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government could provide a small rate reduction depending on your company.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – This isn’t a discount exactly, but certain companies will forgive one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you haven’t had any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- E-sign Discounts</strong – A few larger online companies will give you a small discount on their website.
- Professional Organizations – Having an affiliation with specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could earn you a nice discount on your bill.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though you would think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
To locate insurance companies with significant discounts in North Bend, click here.
Insurance agents can help
When buying proper insurance coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Oregon?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- What is the minimum liability in Oregon?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my vehicle?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Budget-friendly auto insurance can be found from both online companies and also from your neighborhood North Bend agents, so you need to with both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers don’t offer online price quotes and usually these smaller providers only sell through local independent agents.
You just read a lot of information how to compare auto insurance rates online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. You may be surprised to find that the best rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Some small companies often have lower car insurance rates on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or Geico.
As you , you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Oregon auto insurance information
Even more information can be found at the Oregon Insurance Division website. Oregon consumers can download brochures, report car insurance fraud, and find disaster information.