Finding a different company that has can be challenging if you are one of the millions of people new to online price quotes. Don’t worry though because using the internet to shop for auto insurance is actually quite easy.
You should make it a habit to take a look at other company’s rates on a regular basis because prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you had the lowest price at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because I’m going to teach you one of the quickest ways to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Shopping for the lowest cost auto insurance in Norway is easy if you know what you’re doing. Just about everyone who has to buy auto insurance will be able to save money. Nevertheless, Maine vehicle owners need to have an understanding of how big insurance companies compete online.
There are several ways of comparing rates from auto insurance companies in your area. One of the best ways to do a complete rate comparison involves getting comparison quotes online. It’s really quite simple and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- One of the fastest ways to find low rates is a comparison rater form (click to open form in new window). This method saves time by eliminating repetitive form submissions for every prospective company. One quote request gets insurance cost estimates from multiple low-cost companies.It’s the quickest way to get rates.
- A less efficient way to analyze rates is spending the time to visit the website of each company and repeat the quote process again and again. For instance, let’s assume you need rates from Liberty Mutual, 21st Century and Farmers. You would need to spend time on each company’s site to input your insurance information, which explains why we recommend starting with the first method. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Norway, click here.
- If you have time to kill, the last method to comparison shop is calling or driving to each insurance agency near you. Comparing rates online has made agencies unnecessary unless you have a complicated situation and need the extra assistance that only an agent can give. You can, however, price shop your coverage online but buy from a local insurance agent.
The approach you take is up to you, just ensure you are comparing identical coverage limits on every price quote you get. If you use different limits and deductibles on each one you can’t possibly find the best deal in Norway. Quoting even small variations in limits may result in large price differences. And when quoting auto insurance, remember that comparing all the rates in your area will improve the odds of getting a lower rate than you’re paying now.
Beware of misleading auto insurance ads
Companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm seem to constantly run ads in print and on television. They all tend to make the same promise about saving some big amount just by switching your policy. How is it possible that every company can claim to save you money? You have to listen carefully.
Insurance providers have strict underwriting profiles for the type of driver that makes them money. For instance, this type of driver should be over the age of 50, has never had a policy lapse, and chooses high deductibles. A customer getting a price quote who fits those characteristics will most likely get cheap premium rates and will probably cut their rates substantially.
Consumers who do not match this ideal profile will get higher rates and the customer not purchasing. If you pay close attention to the ads, they say “drivers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” can get the lowest rates when switching. That is how insurance companies can lure you into getting a quote.
This really drives home the point why drivers must quotes from several different companies. It is impossible to guess with any certainty which company will have the lowest rates.
Learn how to buy auto insurance cheaper
Many factors are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but some are more transparent like where you live or your vehicle rating. An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that aid in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. If you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that could help you find big savings.
- Safety first – Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars reduce occupant injuries and fewer serious injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If your car, truck, or SUV scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may be receiving a better rate.
- Use one insurance company and save – Most larger auto insurance companies will give a discount to policyholders that have more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount applied, it’s in your best interest to compare other company rates to make sure you are getting the best deal. It’s possible to still find better rates by buying from different companies
- How much liability coverage – Liability coverage will protect you in the event that you are found to be at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. It will provide legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Discounts for married couples – Walking down the aisle may cut your premiums on your auto insurance policy. Having a spouse demonstrates that you tend to be more stable financially and statistics show drivers who are married are more cautious.
Are you earning every discount?
Some insurance providers do not list every policy discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we took the time to find a few of the more common and also the lesser-known auto insurance savings.
- Low Miles Discount – Low annual miles could earn substantially lower auto insurancerates.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying a policy with multiple vehicles with the same company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Claim Free – Good drivers with no accidents have much lower rates in comparison to frequent claim filers.
- Mature Driver Discount – Seniors may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Defensive Driving Course – Participating in a course that instructs on driving safety could save 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up before driving can save 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Military Rewards – Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Safe Driver Discounts – Safe drivers can save as much as half off their rates compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Early Signing – A few companies give discounts for buying a new policy before your current policy expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Life Insurance Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn lower prices if you buy a life policy as well.
Consumers should know that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy. But all discounts will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
Large auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts are shown below.
- GEICO has discounts for federal employee, emergency military deployment, membership and employees, driver training, multi-policy, and daytime running lights.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for multiple vehicles, air bags, safe driver, company car, anti-theft, and paid in full.
- American Family discounts include good student, mySafetyValet, air bags, bundled insurance, early bird, and defensive driver.
- Esurance offers discounts for anti-lock brakes, Switch & Save, renters, safety device, multi-car, and multi-policy.
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-policy, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, homeowner, good student, online signing, and online quote discount.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for multiple autos, Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver’s education, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, and safe vehicle.
- AAA may include discounts for AAA membership discount, good driver, education and occupation, pay-in-full, and multi-car.
If you are trying to find , ask each insurance company the best way to save money. Some credits may not be available in your area.
Auto insurance quotes from local Norway insurance agencies
A lot of people just want to get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is you can get cheap rate quotes and also buy local. Buying insurance from local agents is still important in Norway.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your insurance data is emailed to insurance agents in Norway that provide for your auto insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact any agents because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. You can find better rates AND a local agent. If you have a need to compare rates from a particular provider, you just need to jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Two types of Norway car insurance agents
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a local Norway insurance agency, there are two different types of agencies and how they work. Agents in Norway can be classified as either independent agents or captive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies so they have the ability to put coverage with an assortment of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they find a lower price, they can switch companies in-house and you don’t have to do anything.
When comparing rates, you will definitely want to get some free quotes from independent agents in order to compare the most rates. Most can insure with small mutual carriers which may provide better rates.
Featured below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Norway that can give you rate quotes.
- Goodwin’s Insurance – 38 Paris St – Norway, ME 04268 – (207) 743-8963
- Whitmore Agency – 2 Main St – Norway, ME 04268 – (207) 743-6554
Captive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be captive can only place business with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents. A lot of people purchase coverage from captives partially due to loyalty to the company instead of buying on price only.
Deciding on a insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
After getting reasonable responses to any questions you may have and a good coverage price, you may have just found an insurance agency that can properly service your auto insurance policy.
You can find cheaper coverage
You just read many tips how you can compare auto insurance car insurance rates online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may discover the lowest car insurance rates are with the least-expected company.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your objective should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Insureds change insurance companies for any number of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, lack of trust in their agent, delays in responding to claim requests and policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new auto insurance company can be easier than you think.
Additional Maine consumer information
Additional auto insurance information is available on the . Click here for link. Maine consumers can learn about specific coverages, report car insurance fraud, read consumer alerts, and discover disciplinary actions.