If you’ve never shopped for car insurance online, it’s easy to get confused by the hoards of companies offering insurance in Plattsmouth.
If you have insurance now or need a new policy, you can learn to find better prices while maximizing coverage. Locating affordable coverage in Plattsmouth is quite easy. Nebraska consumers just need to understand the most efficient way to compare price quotes on the web.
Why you might pay higher rates in Plattsmouth
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
- One company can mean more discounts – Some insurance companies provide better rates to insureds who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – Even one moving violation may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums than people who have multiple driving citations. If you have severe violations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may find they need to file a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Youthful drivers in Nebraska are known to get distracted easily when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. Older insureds are more responsible, file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- The more you drive the more you pay – Driving more miles in a year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers apply a rate determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos used primarily for pleasure use can get a lower rate than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your car insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Car insurance companies in Nebraska generally give discounts to drivers who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Extra coverages can waste money – There are many additional coverages that you can get tricked into buying when buying car insurance. Things like roadside assistance, accidental death and additional equipment coverage may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise all available discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of both the well known and the harder-to-find ways to save on car insurance. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Claim Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially when compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a home in Plattsmouth can help you save on car insurance because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may be able to get reduced rates.
- Air Bag Discount – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- E-sign – Some insurance companies may give you up to $50 simply for signing online.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To see a list of companies who offer car insurance discounts in Nebraska, click here to view.
What about using a local agent?
Some people would prefer to get advice from a local agent. Insurance agents can answer important questions and help file insurance claims. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find lower rates but also keep your business local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Plattsmouth who will return price quotes for your business. You won’t need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. How cool is that?!<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-58.jpg" alt="Plattsmouth Nebraska car insurance“/>
Selecting an insurer requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Nebraska?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
Captive or Independent: There is a difference
When researching a good insurance agency, there are a couple of different agency structures to choose from. Insurance agencies in Plattsmouth are categorized either captive or independent. Both properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know the differences because it can impact buying decisions.
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents work for only one company and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance and Allstate. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers frequently buy insurance from these agents primarily because of loyalty to the company and solid financial strength.
The following is a list of captive agents in Plattsmouth that are able to give price quote information.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 2302 8th Ave # 1 – Plattsmouth, NE 68048 – (402) 296-4999
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, you should always get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for the best price selection. They often place coverage with smaller regional carriers which can save you money.
The following are Plattsmouth independent insurance agencies willing to provide price quote information.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 9661 Renee Ave # 3 – Plattsmouth, NE 68048 – (402) 296-4900
- Terri Scholting Agency Inc – 601 Main St – Plattsmouth, NE 68048 – (402) 296-5234
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 2302 8th Ave # 1 – Plattsmouth, NE 68048 – (402) 296-4999
For a complete listing of car insurance agents in Plattsmouth, simply jump to this page.
After receiving acceptable answers in addition to an acceptable price estimate, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that can properly service your car insurance policy.
More resources for learning
More tips and info about car insurance is located at the Nebraska Department of Insurance website. Nebraska drivers can view agent and company licensing information, find out industry alerts, read state legal mandates and laws, and get help finding coverage.
Shop smart and save
As you prepare to switch companies, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price.
We just showed you some good ideas how to save on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from the smaller companies.
The cheapest car insurance can be purchased on the web and also from your neighborhood Plattsmouth agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.