Have you fallen victim to an overpriced auto insurance policy? Believe me, there are lots of people in the same boat.
Having so many insurance companies to choose from, it can be diffult for consumers to locate the most affordable insurance company.
It’s a great practice to shop coverage around occasionally because rates trend upward over time. Even if you think you had the best price a couple years back you can probably find a lower rate today. So just ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re going to learn how to use online quotes to save on auto insurance.
How your Salem rates are determined
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in lower auto insurance prices.
Shown below are some of the items used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Multiple policies with one company can save – Some companies will give a discount to customers who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it’s still a good idea to compare rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Equipment add-ons that lower auto insurance rates – Purchasing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention devices like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping car theft.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – More mature drivers are more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel. Young drivers have a tendency to be more careless when driving and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Pleasure use saves money – The more you drive in a year’s time the higher your rates will be. Most insurance companies apply a rate based on their usage. Autos used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your auto insurance policy properly reflects the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Driving your car without having proper coverage is against the law and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage lapse. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage may earn you a revoked license or a big fine.
How to Compare Salem Auto Insurance Costs
All major auto insurance companies such as State Farm and Allstate allow you to get insurance quotes on the web. Getting online quotes is pretty painless as you simply enter your coverage information into a form. Once you submit the form, their system gets reports for credit and driving violations and returns pricing information based on these factors. Being able to quote online streamlines rate comparisons, but the process of having to visit each company’s website and repetitively type in the same information can be a bit tiresome and repetitive. Unfortunately, it is important to perform this step if you want to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
A less time-consuming method to lower your auto insurance bill is to use a quote form that gets prices from more than one company. The form is fast, requires less work, and makes quoting online much simpler. As soon as the form is sent, it is quoted with multiple companies and you can pick your choice of the quotes returned.
If a lower price is quoted, you simply finish the application and purchase the new policy. The whole process can be completed in a matter of minutes and you will find out if you’re overpaying now.
To use this form to compare rates, click here and enter your information. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you copy the coverages exactly as shown on your declarations page. This way, you will get a fair comparison for exact coverage.
Cut your premium with discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may find discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but a few must be specifically requested before you get the savings.
- Accident Waiver – A few companies allow you one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear for a certain period of time.
- No Accidents – Drivers who don’t have accidents pay less compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new car is cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Student in College – Kids in college who are attending college without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Paperless Signup – A few companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles with the same company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
Consumers should know that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will help reduce your overall premium however.
Neighborhood agents for auto insurance
Certain consumers would rather sit down with an agent and that is just fine! One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is you may find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent. And providing support for local agencies is important particularly in Salem.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your insurance data gets sent to agents in your area who will compete to get your business. You won’t need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. Now that’s easy! You can find better rates without the usual hassles of price shopping.
What types of car insurance agents are in Salem?
When researching local Salem agents, you must know there are a couple different agency structures from which to choose. Agencies in Salem are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparison shopping, we recommend you include at least one independent agent to get the best comparison.
Below is a list of independent agencies in Salem who can help you get rate quotes.
Huggins Insurance – 1786 State St – Salem, OR 97301 – (503) 585-2211
Mid Valley General Agency – 3400 State St # G740 – Salem, OR 97301 – (503) 365-7001
Viking Insurance – 2405 Front St NE – Salem, OR 97303 – (503) 585-5313
Captive Insurance Agents
This type of agents have only one company to place business with such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm and AAA. Captives cannot provide prices from multiple companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which can be an advantage.
Shown below are Salem captive agents who can help you get rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 4861 Lancaster Dr NE # C – Salem, OR 97305 – (503) 390-8532
State Farm Insurance – 1579 Edgewater St NW – Salem, OR 97304 – (503) 370-9434
Farmers Insurance Group – 830 Commercial St SE – Salem, OR 97302 – (503) 585-2318
American Family Insurance – 5680 Commercial St SE # 170 – Salem, OR 97306 – (503) 540-9175
To view a complete directory of captive insurance agents in Salem, visit this site.
Choosing an auto insurance agent should depend on more than just the premium amount. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
After getting satisfactory answers and a good coverage price, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that can insure your vehicles.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to buying coverage, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- What is the minimum liability in Oregon?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Should I buy only the required Oregon minimum liability coverage?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Additional auto insurance information is located on the website for the Oregon Insurance Division found here. Consumers can read state legal mandates and laws, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and view a list of available companies.
Keep this in mind
Affordable auto insurance is available both online in addition to many Salem insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not provide online price quotes and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.