Finding the most affordable Superior car insurance online is difficult for consumers not familiar with shopping for insurance online. With so many choices of choices, how can Superior drivers possibly compare the different rates to find the best available price?
You should make it a habit to price shop coverage periodically due to the fact that insurance rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price six months ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. There is a lot of bad advice regarding car insurance on the internet, so I’m going to show you the best ways to quit paying high car insurance rates.
Make smart decisions and save
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in lower car insurance prices.
- Traffic violations increase rates – Careful drivers have lower premiums than bad drivers. Even a single moving violation can boost insurance rates twenty percent or more. If you have serious violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- High numbers of claims are not good – If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Car insurance companies in Wisconsin generally give cheaper rates to insureds who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Higher deductibles cost less – The deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and rolling your vehicle. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Always keep insurance in force – Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a fast way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay more, getting caught without coverage may earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – The majority of insurers will give a discount to policyholders who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to five, ten or even twenty percent. Even with this discount, it’s in your best interest to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
These discounts can slash car insurance rates
Companies don’t always publicize all their discounts very well, so we took the time to find both the well known as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using. If you don’t get every credit possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Good Student Discount – A discount for being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Military Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- Save over 55 – Mature drivers may be able to get reduced rates.
- Save with a New Car – Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles could qualify for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you have multiple policies with one insurance company you will save 10% to 20% off each policy.
It’s important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To see a list of insurers with discount car insurance rates in Wisconsin, click here to view.
Is there deception in advertising?
Wisconsin consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for car insurance savings by companies like State Farm, Allstate and Geico. All the companies make an identical promise that you can save if you move to them.
But how can every company make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the right customer that is profitable for them. For example, a desirable insured might be over the age of 40, insures multiple vehicles, and has a short commute. Any driver who meets those qualifications receives the best rates and as a result will probably save when switching.
Potential customers who do not match this ideal profile must pay higher prices which leads to the customer not buying. Company advertisements say “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. This is how insurance companies can make those claims. This illustrates why you absolutely need to get a wide range of price quotes. It’s impossible to know which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Additional reading for car insurance information
More detailed Wisconsin car insurance information can be found at the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance website. Wisconsin consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find out industry alerts, find a variety of consumer forms, and discover disciplinary actions.
One last thing about your coverage
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including denial of a claim, policy cancellation, high rates after DUI convictions or delays in paying claims. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching car insurance companies can be pretty painless.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate.
Cost effective car insurance can be sourced both online and also from your neighborhood Superior agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies may not provide online price quotes and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.