Shopping for the most affordable Troy car insurance online can seem to be impossible for beginners to comparison shopping online. With so many online companies, how can you have a chance to compare the different rates to find the best available rates?
Consumers should take time to price shop coverage once or twice a year because rates change regularly. Just because you found the lowest rates last year you may be paying too much now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to find out the proper way to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money.
How insurance companies determine rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates enables informed choices that could result in lower car insurance prices.
The following are some of the factors car insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Not having insurance can get your license suspended and as a result your rates will increase for letting your insurance lapse. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time.Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the New York motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- More claims means more premium – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either higher rates or even cancellation. Companies in New York award lower rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Car insurance is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- Are you male or female? – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that women are BETTER drivers than men. Women and men cause accidents at about the same rate, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically get more serious tickets such as reckless driving.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Purchasing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Anti-theft devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping your vehicle from being stolen.
- Rural vs Urban Areas – Residing in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when it comes to car insurance. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents. City drivers have to deal with much more traffic to deal with and longer commute times. More time on the road means more change of being in an accident.
- How your age affects price – Teenage drivers in New York have a tendency to be more careless when behind the wheel so car insurance rates are higher. Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Safer cars can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The performance of the car you are insuring makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. Small economy passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Troy
- One of the simplest ways to find low rates is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This easy form saves time by eliminating separate forms for every car insurance company. One form submission compares rates from multiple companies. Just one form and you’re done.
- A harder way to obtain and compare quotes online requires you to visit the website for every company you want to comare to complete a price quote. For example, we’ll assume you want rates from GEICO, Safeco and Liberty Mutual. To find out each rate you need to visit each site and enter your information, which is why the first method is quicker. To view a list of companies in Troy, click here.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just be sure to compare exactly the same deductibles and coverage limits for every company. If the quotes have different deductibles it will be next to impossible to find the best deal in Troy.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you can get discounts that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be manually applied before you will receive the discount. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Good Student Discount – This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving fewer miles can earn better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Distant Student – Children who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Use Seat Belts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government may qualify you for a discount with certain companies.
It’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck. But all discounts will bring down your premiums.
Additional information can be found on the New York Department of Financial Services website found here. Visitors are able to file complaints about a company, find out which companies have the most complaints, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
More related Troy car insurance information:
- Professional Techniques to Saving Money on Troy Michigan Auto Insurance
- Find the Secrets to Saving Money on Troy, OH Auto Insurance
Compare but don’t skimp
Discount car insurance is definitely available online as well as from independent agents in Troy, so compare prices from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
While you’re price shopping online, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to regret that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Drivers switch companies for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, high prices, policy non-renewal and being labeled a high risk driver. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding the right car insurance provider is actually quite simple.