Comparison shopping for Urbandale auto insurance is always difficult for consumers new to comparing rates online. You have so many choices that it can turn into a lot of work to find the best price in Urbandale.
This information will teach you how to effectively get price quotes and some tips to save money. If you are paying for car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to cut costs considerably using these methods. But Iowa vehicle owners must learn how big insurance companies sell insurance online and use this information to your advantage.
Lower your Urbandale Auto Insurance Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that help determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
The following are some of the items companies use to determine your rates.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Careers like doctors, executives and accountants have higher rates than average attributed to high stress levels and lengthy work days. On the flip side, professions such as actors, athletes and performers get better rates.
- How your age affects price – Youthful drivers in Iowa are known to be more careless in a vehicle so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers.
- Never allow your policy to lapse – Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a fast way to pay more for auto insurance. Not only will rates go up, but not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a license revocation or jail time.
- Being married is a good thing – Getting married can get you a discount on your auto insurance policy. Marriage means you’re more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- An active claims history can cost you – Companies in Iowa provide better rates to drivers who file claims infrequently. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
Auto Insurance Comparison Rates in Urbandale, IA
The are a couple different ways of comparing rate quotes from auto insurance companies in your area. By far the easiest way to compare insurance prices involves getting comparison quotes online. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- One of the best ways consumers can analyze rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison click here to open form in new window. This easy form prevents you from having to do repetitive form entry for every auto insurance company. In just a few minutes this one form will get you rate comparisons from several companies. It’s the fastest way to compare.
- Another way to find lower rates requires a visit to the website for each individual company to complete their respective quote request forms. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want to compare Auto-Owners, Progressive and Liberty Mutual. You would have to go to every website and enter your information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Urbandale, click here.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just ensure you are comparing identical deductibles and coverage limits on every quote. If you are comparing higher or lower deductibles you can’t possibly make an equal comparison in Urbandale. Quoting even small variations in coverage limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. Just keep in mind that quoting more provides better odds of finding the best rates.
The fine print in auto insurance ads
Auto insurance companies such as GEICO, State Farm and Progressive consistently run ads on TV and radio. They all seem to make the same claim about savings if you change to their company. But how can every company claim to save you money?
All the different companies can use profiling for the type of driver that is profitable for them. For instance, a desirable insured might be profiled as between the ages of 40 and 55, has no prior claims, and drives newer vehicles. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications is entitled to the best price and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Drivers who don’t measure up to the “perfect” profile will be charged a more expensive rate which usually ends up with the customer not buying. Company advertisements say “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. That’s the way companies can claim big savings.
That is why it’s extremely important to get a wide range of price quotes. It’s just too difficult to predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you can get discounts to help offset the cost. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Air Bag Discount – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts up to 30%.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger companies have lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Military Rewards – Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
- Good Student – This discount can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child enroll in driver’s education in high school.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring all your vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- College Student – Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
Consumers should know that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any amount of discount will bring down the amount you have to pay.
To choose providers with the best auto insurance discounts in Iowa, click here to view.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Every insured’s situation is different.
For instance, these questions can help discover if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Much more information about auto insurance in Iowa is available on the Iowa Insurance Division website located here. Iowa consumers can view a list of available companies, read consumer alerts, and report car insurance fraud.
In the end, you save
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
You just read a lot of techniques to reduce auto insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a small mutual company.
People change insurance companies for many reasons like policy cancellation, policy non-renewal, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and poor customer service. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new auto insurance company can be easier than you think.