Consumers not familiar with comparing insurance rates online will find shopping for the cheapest Cando auto insurance to be a formidable task.
Decisions you make can impact your rates
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay enables informed choices that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are a partial list of the pieces auto insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – Having a bad credit rating is a big factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. Drivers who have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with lower credit ratings. So if your credit score can use some improvement, you could pay less to insure your by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for auto insurance? Jobs such as judges, business owners and accountants tend to have higher rates than average because of high stress and long work hours. On the flip side, professions such as pilots, athletes and performers receive lower rates.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – The liability section of your policy is the protection if ever a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart auto theft.
- Is your vehicle built for speed? – The type of vehicle you drive makes a substantial difference in your rates. Small economy passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Not having insurance can get your license suspended and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a license revocation or jail time.You may have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the North Dakota motor vehicle department.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums – Cars with high safety ratings get lower rates. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
- Big city or small town – Being located in a rural area can be a good thing when buying auto insurance. Lower population translates into fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers who live in large North Dakota cities tend to have much more traffic to deal with and a longer drive to work. Longer commute distances means higher likelihood of an accident.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
Auto insurance companies don’t list all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list both well-publicized as well as the least known ways to save on auto insurance. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you may earn approximately 10% to 15%.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Driver Safety – Taking a defensive driving course could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- 55 and Retired – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most cut specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
To see a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts in Cando, click here.
Buying auto insurance from a local agent
Some consumers just want to get advice from a local agent. Good agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. The best thing about getting online price quotes is that you can obtain lower rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Upon completion of this simple form, your coverage information is sent to local insurance agents who will battle for your business. There is no reason to leave your house as quotes are delivered directly to your email. How cool is that?!
Picking an insurer should depend on more than just the price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are they full-time agents?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
Car insurance agents in Cando come in two varieties
When researching a reliable agent, there are two types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents are either independent or captive. Either one can do a good job, but it’s good to learn how they are different because it can impact the type of agent you choose
Captive agents can only write with one company such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Captives cannot compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captives are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to purchase coverage from captives mostly because of the brand legacy and strong financial ratings.
Listed below is a list of captive agents in Cando that are able to give comparison quotes.
- American Family Insurance – 404 5th Ave – Cando, ND 58324 – (701) 968-3034
- Farmers Insurance Group – 7848 Highway 281 – Cando, ND 58324 – (701) 968-3365
These agents do not work for one specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency. When searching for an agent, we recommend you get quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison. Most have the option of insuring with smaller companies which can be an advantage.
Shown below are Cando independent agents that are able to give rate quotes.
- Nodak Mutual Insurance – 405 Main St – Cando, ND 58324 – (701) 968-4554
- Northeast Mutual Insurance Co – 509 Main St – Cando, ND 58324 – (701) 968-3651
To view a full list of Cando insurance agents, view this link.
After receiving positive feedback to any questions you have and an affordable coverage quote, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that can adequately provide auto insurance.
Beware of misleading auto insurance ads
North Dakota drivers can’t ignore all the ads for car insurance savings by Allstate and Progressive. All the ads say the same thing of big savings if you change to their company.
How does each company say the same thing? This is how they do it.
Different companies can use profiling for the right customer that is profitable for them. For example, a profitable customer could be between the ages of 40 and 55, has no tickets, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. A propective insured who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and most likely will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Potential insureds who do not match this ideal profile will have to pay a more expensive rate which usually ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state “customers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much. That’s why companies can make those claims. Because of the profiling, it is so important to compare as many rates as you can. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will have the lowest rates.
But I don’t know anything about car insurance
When it comes to buying adequate coverage, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in North Dakota?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Even more information can be read at the North Dakota Insurance Department website. North Dakota drivers can find out industry alerts, view agent and company licensing information, find out which companies have the most complaints, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
The cheapest auto insurance can be found both online and also from your neighborhood Cando agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies may not provide online quoting and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Drivers who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as high rates after DUI convictions, not issuing a premium refund, policy cancellation or even delays in paying claims. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a great new company is easier than you think.