Consumers who are new to the process of price shopping insurance online might discover buying low-cost Oakes car insurance very challenging.
Choosing the best insurance company for you in Oakes is quite easy. If you have insurance now or need new coverage, you can use these techniques to cut your premiums and possibly find even better coverage. North Dakota consumers only need an understanding of the most efficient way to get comparison quotes online.
How much can you save with these seven discounts?
Companies that sell car insurance don’t list all available discounts very well, so here is a list some of the more common and the harder-to-find car insurance savings. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings up to 30%.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles can qualify you for a substantially lower rate.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a defensive driving course could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- New Car Discount – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Accident Forgiveness – Some insurance companies allow you one accident before your rates go up as long as you don’t have any claims for a set time period.
- Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To choose insurers with discount car insurance rates in Oakes, click here.
How to Get Cheap Car Insurance in Oakes, ND
Finding a lower price on insurance is a fairly straight forward process. The only thing you need to do is invest a few minutes comparing rate quotes from different insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The easiest and least time consuming way to find the lowest comparison rates is to use a rate comparison form (click to open form in new window). This method eliminates the need for repetitive form submissions for each company you want a rate for. One form submission will get you price quotes instantly. This is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time.
- A slightly less efficient method to analyze rates is going to the website for every company you want to comare to request a price quote. For instance, let’s say you want rates from Farmers, 21st Century and State Farm. To get each rate you have to go to every website to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Oakes, click here.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just ensure you are comparing the exact same information on every quote you get. If you compare differing limits it will be next to impossible to determine the lowest rate in Oakes.
How much car insurance do I need?
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Every situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine if your insurance needs would benefit from professional advice.
- Should I buy more coverage than the required North Dakota minimum liability coverage?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Oakes?
- What are the best liability limits?
- When should I drop full coverage on my vehicle?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in North Dakota?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in North Dakota?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
What car insurance coverages do you need?
Understanding the coverages of your policy can help you determine which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
This covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like falling objects, fire damage, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from a tornado or hurricane and hitting a deer. The maximum payout your car insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability insurance protects you from damage that occurs to other people or property by causing an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 100/300/100 that means you have a $100,000 limit per person for injuries, $300,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $100,000.
Liability coverage pays for things like attorney fees, bail bonds, funeral expenses and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. North Dakota requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/50,000/25,000 but you should consider buying higher limits.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (25/50/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Medical expense coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses like EMT expenses, doctor visits, hospital visits and rehabilitation expenses. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for things like colliding with a tree, scraping a guard rail, rolling your car and hitting a mailbox. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
A little work can save a LOT of money
When you buy insurance online, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Insureds change insurance companies for many reasons like not issuing a premium refund, delays in paying claims, unfair underwriting practices or being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason, finding the right car insurance provider can be easy and end up saving you some money.
In this article, we presented a lot of ways to save on car insurance. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with a smaller regional carrier.