Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy an underperforming, overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me, there are a lot of people in Pulaski just like you who feel imprisoned by their car insurance policy. Having so many companies to choose from, it’s difficult to pick the most affordable provider.
Finding the lowest cost car insurance in Pulaski is quite easy. If you have a policy now or need a new policy, you can follow these tips to shop for the lowest rates and still get good coverage. Virginia drivers just need to understand how to shop their coverage around over the internet.
Finding Car Insurance in Pulaski
Cutting your car insurance rates is surprisingly easy. Consumers just need to spend a little time comparing rate quotes online with multiple companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- One of the best ways to compare a lot of rates at once would be an industry-wide quote request form like this one (opens in new window). This form keeps you from doing separate quotes for every car insurance company. In just a few minutes this one form will get you rate comparisons instantly.
- Another way to get quotes online is spending the time to visit the website of each company to complete their respective quote request forms. For example, let’s say you want comparison quotes from Auto-Owners, Esurance and Farmers. To get each rate you have to go to every website to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is quicker. To view a list of companies in Pulaski, click here.
- The most time-consuming method to compare rates is to waste gas driving to different Pulaski agent offices. Buying insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you require the professional advice of a local Pulaski agent. It is possible to compare online quotes and still use a local agent and you’ll learn how to do that later.
Whichever way you use, ensure you are comparing identical coverages and limits on every quote. If you enter different values for each quote you can’t possibly determine which rate is truly the best in Pulaski.
Save big with these eight discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, buy you may qualify for discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some discounts apply automatically at the time of purchase, but less common discounts must be requested specifically before they will apply. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify you for a discount with select insurance companies.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger companies have a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- 55 and Retired – If you’re over the age of 55, you may be able to get reduced rates.
- Paperless Signup – Some insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks simply for signing over the internet.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Multiple Cars – Buying coverage for all your vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- No Claims – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts as compared to bad drivers.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will help reduce your overall premium however.
For a list of companies offering car insurance discounts in Virginia, click this link.
Neighborhood agents for car insurance
A small number of people would rather sit down with an agent and that is OK! Insurance agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you can get better rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local businesses is important especially in Pulaski.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), the quote information is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will give you bids to get your business. You won’t need to leave your house since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide.
Shown below are agents in Pulaski that may be able to provide comparison quotes.
Allstate Bail Bonds – 74 Main St, Pulaski, VA 24301 – (540) 980-8080
Nationwide Insurance – 401 N Washington Ave, Pulaski, VA 24301 – (540) 980-5060
Liberty Insurance Corp – 1216 Lynwood St, Pulaski, VA 24301 – (540) 980-4303
Deciding on an insurance company should depend on more than just a low price. These questions are important to ask:
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
After receiving answers to your satisfaction to your questions and locked in a price quote, you’ve probably found an insurance company that will service your policy. But keep in mind you can always terminate your policy for any reason so never feel that you’re stuck with your new company for the full term.
Do I need special coverages?
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance needs to address that. These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Don’t be fooled by advertising claims
Virginia drivers can’t get away from ads for cheaper car insurance from the likes of GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. All the ads have a common claim that you’ll save big after switching your coverage to them.
How can each company say the same thing? This is how they do it.
All companies have a preferred profile for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For example, a desirable insured could be over the age of 40, owns a home, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer getting a price quote that hits that “sweet spot” is entitled to the best price and therefore will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Consumers who don’t qualify for the “perfect” profile will be quoted higher prices and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state “drivers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do.
This emphasizes why you absolutely need to compare many company’s rates. It’s just too difficult to predict the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Auto insurance 101
Having a good grasp of your policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are typical coverage types offered by car insurance companies.
This can cover injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property in an accident. It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 100/300/100 that translate to $100,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $300,000, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use a combined limit which combines the three limits into one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability can pay for claims such as funeral expenses, legal defense fees, attorney fees and medical services. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Virginia state minimum liability requirements are 25,000/50,000/20,000 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for expenses like funeral costs, prosthetic devices and ambulance fees. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things such as scraping a guard rail, crashing into a building, sideswiping another vehicle and rolling your car. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible to bring the cost down.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your vehicle.
Due to the fact that many Virginia drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/20), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like damage from a tornado or hurricane, damage from flooding, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, theft and hail damage. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Keep this in mind
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that it was a big mistake. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Low-cost car insurance can be sourced from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Pulaski agents, so compare prices from both to have the best rate selection. Some car insurance companies may not provide online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
Additional information can be found on the website for the Virginia Bureau of Insurance. Click here for link. Visitors are able to file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, and download brochures.