Buying affordable Torrance car insurance on the internet is intimidating for consumers new to comparing rates online. When there are so many online companies, how can Torrance drivers effectively compare them all to find the cheapest rates?
It’s a good habit to do rate comparisons yearly since insurance rates tend to go up over time. Just because you found the lowest price six months ago you can probably find a lower rate today. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding car insurance on the web, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some guaranteed methods to put money back in your pocket.
If you have insurance now or are shopping for new coverage, you will benefit by learning to find the best rates while maintaining coverages. The purpose of this post is to teach you the best way to quote coverages. California drivers only need an understanding of the most efficient way to shop their coverage around over the internet.
Finding Car Insurance Deals in Torrance, CA
Getting a lower price on insurance can be surprisingly simple. You just need to invest a little time to compare rate quotes online from several insurance companies. This can be done using a couple different methods.
- The fastest way to compare a lot of rates at once is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This form prevents you from having to do repetitive form entry for each company. One form compares rates from many national carriers. It’s the fastest way to compare.
- A more difficult way to obtain and compare quotes online consists of visiting the website for every company you want to comare to complete a price quote. For sake of this example, let’s say you want to compare rates from Farmers, Esurance and State Farm. To get each rate you have to visit each site and enter your information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in Torrance, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but be sure to compare the exact same coverage information for each price quote. If you have different values for each quote it’s not possible to make a fair comparison in Torrance.
The fine print in car insurance ads
Consumers can’t get away from ads that promise big savings from the likes of Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the ads say the same thing about savings if you switch your coverage to them.
How does each company make the same claim?
All companies can use profiling for the right customer that earns them a profit. A good example of a profitable customer might be profiled as between 25 and 40, insures multiple vehicles, and has a short commute. Any new insured who meets those qualifications will get very good rates and most likely will save when switching.
Potential customers who don’t measure up to this ideal profile will have to pay higher premiums and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say “people who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. This is how companies can make those claims.
Because of the profiling, you need to get quotes from several different companies. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will fit your personal profile best.
Policy discounts you shouldn’t miss
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be applied when you purchase, but some must be manually applied before being credited. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Keeping the miles down could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Discount for New Cars – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who don’t get into accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than drivers with accidents.
- Organization Discounts – Participating in a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for car insurance.
- Military Discounts – Having a deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- No Accidents – Good drivers with no accidents can earn big discounts when compared to bad drivers.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free car insurance policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any amount of discount will cut the cost of coverage.
To choose insurers with the best car insurance discounts in Torrance, click this link.
Insurance agents can help
When choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
For example, these questions can help discover if your situation may require specific advice.
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- When should I not file a claim?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in California?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Specific coverage details
Learning about specific coverages of a car insurance policy can help you determine the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Medical payments and PIP coverage – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for immediate expenses for things like X-ray expenses, doctor visits and nursing services. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Collision coverages – Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for things such as colliding with another moving vehicle, hitting a mailbox, sustaining damage from a pot hole and damaging your car on a curb. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. It’s also possible to raise the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive auto coverage – Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as falling objects, damage from flooding, damage from getting keyed and vandalism. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability coverages – This will cover damage or injury you incur to other people or property by causing an accident. It protects you from claims by other people. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 100/300/100 that translate to $100,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $300,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability insurance covers claims like emergency aid, legal defense fees, loss of income, bail bonds and funeral expenses. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15,000/30,000/5,000 but drivers should carry higher limits.
Additional car insurance information is available on the California Department of Insurance website located here. Consumers can discover disciplinary actions, report car insurance fraud, and find a variety of consumer forms.
These articles may also be worth reading.
Better coverage you can count on
Consumers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as high prices, high rates after DUI convictions, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter what your reason, choosing a new insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
We’ve covered many ideas to shop for car insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from a smaller regional carrier.
Discount car insurance can be bought from both online companies in addition to many Torrance insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some car insurance companies do not provide online quoting and these smaller companies work with independent agents.