Price shopping your Chamberlain auto insurance is always a challenge for consumers new to shopping for insurance online. Consumers have so many choices that it can be a big hassle to find lower rates in Chamberlain.
You have some control over your rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with big savings.
- Little extras can really add up – There are quite a few add-on coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Insurance for personal injury protection, better glass coverage and motor club memberships are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but if you don’t need them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Lower rates come with age – Young drivers in South Dakota tend to be more careless when driving so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Having to add a youthful driver onto a policy can be very expensive. More mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Car features impact rates – Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention devices like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can thwart auto theft.
- Do men or women drive better? – The statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both are in accidents at a similar rate, but men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving.
- Always keep insurance in force – Letting your insurance expire will be a fast way to pay more for auto insurance. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance may earn you a revoked license or a big fine.You may have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the South Dakota motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Where you live – Being located in a small town has it’s advantages when it comes to auto insurance. Fewer drivers means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers who live in large South Dakota cities have to deal with congested traffic and much longer commute distances. More time on the road means more change of being in an accident.
- Being married can save on auto insurance – Getting married can actually save you money on your auto insurance policy. Having a spouse translates into being more mature it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- A clean driving record saves money – Only having one citation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than their less careful counterparts. Drivers with dangerous tickets like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with the DMV in their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
You probably qualify for some discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always list every discount in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list some of the more common and also the lesser-known ways to save on auto insurance. If they aren’t giving you every credit possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies will forgive one accident without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring more than one vehicle on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a civic or occupational organization could trigger savings on your policy.
- Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment may qualify you for a discount with select insurance companies.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Discount for New Cars – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Sign Online – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy over the internet.
A little note about advertised discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
But buying car insurance online seems impersonal
A small number of people prefer to sit down with an agent and that is just fine! Professional agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. The best thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After filling out this quick form, the quote information is submitted to insurance agents in Chamberlain who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. It doesn’t get any easier!
Selecting an insurance company requires more thought than just a low price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in South Dakota?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- How long has their agency been in business in Chamberlain?
- Who are their largest clients?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
Two types of auto insurance agents
When looking for a good insurance agency, there are a couple of types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Chamberlain are categorized either captive or independent (non-captive). While both can insure your vehicles, but it’s worth learning the difference between them since it may influence the selection process.
Captive insurance agents have only one company to place business with such as Allstate, AAA, Liberty Mutual and State Farm. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are well schooled on the products they sell which can be an advantage. Consumers often purchase coverage from captives partially due to high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Below is a list of captive agencies in Chamberlain who may provide you with price quote information.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 315 N Main St # 1 – Chamberlain, SD 57325 – (605) 234-4070
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company so they have the ability to put coverage with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparing rates, we recommend you get quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agents in Chamberlain who can help you get price quotes.
- Adams Agency Inc – 201 E Lawler Ave – Chamberlain, SD 57325 – (605) 734-6871
- Carol Hloucha Agency – 316 N Main St – Chamberlain, SD 57325 – (605) 734-6491
- State Wide Ag Insurance Inc – E Highway 16 – Chamberlain, SD 57325 – (605) 234-6086
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 315 N Main St # 1 – Chamberlain, SD 57325 – (605) 234-4070
For a complete listing of auto insurance agents in Chamberlain, view this link.
Once you have received positive responses to all your questions and a good coverage price, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that will adequately provide auto insurance.
Can you really save that much by switching?
Consumers can’t ignore all the ads for car insurance savings from companies such as Allstate, Geico and Progressive. They all say the same thing that you can save if you move your policy.
But how can every company make the same claim?
Insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver they prefer to insure. For example, a profitable customer could possibly be between 30 and 50, has no prior claims, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any driver who matches those parameters will get very good rates and is almost guaranteed to save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who don’t meet the “perfect” profile will have to pay higher rates which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The ad wording is “drivers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. This is how insurance companies can confidently state the savings. Because of the profiling, it is so important to get a wide range of price quotes. It’s impossible to know the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
More tips and info about auto insurance is available at the South Dakota Division of Insurance website. Visitors are able to file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, discover disciplinary actions, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
Affordable insurance is out there
When shopping online for auto insurance, don’t be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and learned later that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Consumers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including high rates after DUI convictions, delays in paying claims, poor customer service and even delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a great new company can be pretty painless.
Budget-conscious auto insurance is possible on the web and with local Chamberlain insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.