Do you get exhausted from sacrificing other expenses to pay high auto insurance rates every month? You have the same problem as millions of other drivers. Due to the large number of insurance companies to choose from, it can be challenging to choose the most cost effective auto insurance company.
Consumers should take time to compare prices on a regular basis since prices change frequently. If you had the best rates last year the chances are good that you can find a lower rate quote today. There is a lot of bad advice regarding auto insurance on the web, but in this article, you’re going to get some of the best techniques to save money.
Cheap South Dakota auto insurance quotes with discounts
Companies do not advertise the entire discount list in a way that’s easy to find, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accident claims.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts in comparison with drivers who are more careless.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are much safer to drive so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Telematics Data – Gregory drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to analyze driving manner by using a small device installed in their vehicle like Allstate’s Drivewise might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Buying a new car instead of a used car can save you some money because newer models are generally safer.
- Resident Student – College-age children who live away from home to go to college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle could get you a discount.
- Driver Education Discount – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them take driver’s ed class as it can save substantially.
- Active Service Discounts – Being on active deployment in the military could trigger a small discount.
Remember that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
A few of the larger companies and their offered discounts are:
- State Farm offers premium reductions for Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple policy, good driver, and driver’s education.
- American Family includes discounts for multi-vehicle, bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, early bird, TimeAway discount, and air bags.
- AAA offers discounts including good student, education and occupation, good driver, multi-car, multi-policy, and pay-in-full.
- Geico may have discounts that include emergency military deployment, multi-vehicle, driver training, federal employee, defensive driver, membership and employees, and anti-lock brakes.
- Mercury Insurance has discounts for low natural disaster claims, good student, professional/association, multi-car, and type of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including electronic funds transfer, mature driver, switch companies, bundle discounts, pay in full, and homeowner.
- Progressive may include discounts for good student, online quote discount, homeowner, online signing, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
Before you buy a policy, ask all companies you are considering which discounts they offer. Savings may not be available in every state. To choose companies with significant discounts in Gregory, click here to view.
Save Money with these tips
Lots of factors are considered when premium rates are determined. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but some are not quite as obvious like your vehicle usage or your commute time. One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the elements that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you know what determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that could result in better auto insurance rates.
The following are a few of the “ingredients” auto insurance companies consider when setting your prices.
- Insurance premiums and vehicle performance – The make and model of the vehicle you own makes a substantial difference in your auto insurance rates. The lowest base rates are generally reserved for small economy passenger vehicles, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
- Single vs. married – Having a spouse can get you a discount on your auto insurance policy. Having a significant other means you’re less irresponsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Accidents can increase prices – Your driving record impacts premiums far more than you think. Good drivers get better prices than bad drivers. Only having one citation could increase your next policy renewal to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers who have gotten multiple violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may be required to maintain a SR-22 with their state’s licensing department in order to legally drive.
- Alarms and GPS tracking lower auto insurance rates – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
Tricks in auto insurance advertising
Well-known auto insurance companies like Allstate and Progressive continually stream ads in print and on television. All the ads convey the message about saving some big amount if you get a free and switch your auto insurance coverage to their company. But how can every company say the same thing? This is how they do it.
Many companies require specific criteria for the type of driver they prefer to insure. For example, a desirable risk might have to be over the age of 40, has no tickets, and has excellent credit. Anyone who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest premium rates in Gregory and is almost guaranteed to cut their rates if they switch.
Insureds who do not fit these criteria may be required to pay higher prices which leads to the prospect going elsewhere. Company advertisements say “drivers who switch” but not “all drivers who get quotes” save that much when switching. That’s why insurance companies can claim big savings.
This really illustrates why it’s extremely important to quote coverage with many companies. It’s just too difficult to predict the company that will give you the biggest savings.
Much more information about auto insurance in South Dakota can be found on the South Dakota Division of Insurance website located here. South Dakota consumers can report car insurance fraud, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and get help finding coverage.
Don’t give up on cheaper rates
Budget-conscious auto insurance can be found on the web and with local Gregory insurance agents, so you need to with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers do not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.