Shopping for cheap Haverstraw car insurance on the web may be problematic for consumers not familiar with comparing and buying car insurance on the web. With more and more insurers to choose from, how can you possibly compare every one to find the lowest price available?
Many insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate and Geico allow consumers to get price estimates on their websites. This process is quite easy as you just enter your coverage information into the form. Once you submit the form, their rating system will obtain your driving and credit reports and gives you a price quote based on these factors.
This makes comparing rates easy, but the time required to go to several different sites and type in the same information can get tiresome after awhile. But it’s necessary to perform this step in order to find the best price on car insurance.
There is a better way!
The preferred way to compare car insurance pricing requires only one form to get prices from several companies at one time. The form is fast, requires much less work on your part, and makes online price comparison much more efficient. After sending your information, it is rated and you can select any of the quote results. If a lower price is quoted, you simply finish the application and buy the new coverage. The entire process takes 15 minutes at the most and you will find out if you’re overpaying now.
To compare pricing, click here to open in a new tab and input your coverage information. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you type in the coverages identical to your current policy. This makes sure you will have rate comparison quotes using the same coverage and limits.
Are you getting every discount?
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but discounts can save money and there are some available that you may not even know about. Some trigger automatically at the time of quoting, but a few need to be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- E-sign – Some of the larger companies will give a small break for buying your policy on the web.
- Theft Deterent – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen with less frequency and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who require all occupants to fasten their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Good Student Discount – Being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you can avoid the installment charge.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts in comparison with policyholders that have many claims.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having multiple vehicles with one company could earn a price break for each car.
- Defensive Driving Course – Completing a class that teaches driver safety techniques can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident without raising rates if you have no claims for a specific time period.
One last thing about discounts, some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
Popular car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are outlined below.
- Geico includes discounts for military active duty, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, driver training, and defensive driver.
- Mercury Insurance has discounts for low natural disaster claims, good driver, multi-car, professional/association, good student, multi-policy, and type of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for pay in full, good student, multi-car, business and professional, switch companies, bundle discounts, and electronic funds transfer.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may include discounts for paperless, multi-policy, safe vehicle, mature driver, company car, student away at school, and paid in full.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including newly retired, preferred payment discount, exclusive group savings, teen driver discount, and safety features.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for anti-lock brakes, safe driver, bundle discounts, homeowner, drive less, and teen safety rewards.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online quote discount, good student, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and online signing.
- USAA may have discounts that include multi-policy, family discount, new vehicle, good student, and multi-vehicle.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each company or agent the best way to save money. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply everywhere. For a list of companies with discount car insurance rates in Haverstraw, follow this link.
Get more affordable prices by understanding these factors
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. When consumers understand what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to lower rates. Many things are part of the equation when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, although some other factors are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or your vehicle rating.
The following are some of the factors companies use to determine your rates.
- Gender and auto insurance – Statistics show females are less aggressive when driving. This data doesn’t prove that women are BETTER drivers than men. They both are responsible for auto accidents at about the same rate, but males tend to have more serious accidents. In addition to higher claims, males also receive more costly citations like driving under the influence (DUI).
- More performance means higher premiums – The type of car or truck you own makes a huge difference in your car insurance bill. The lowest rates tend to be for low performance passenger vehicles, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Discounts for married couples – Getting married may earn you lower rates compared to being single. It usually means you are less irresponsible it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Companies want multiple policies – Most major companies provide discounts to insureds who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount applied, consumers should still check prices from other companies to ensure the best deal.
- Small coverages can add up – There are many optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed if you don’t pay attention. Coverages for rental car coverage, towing, and extra equipment coverage are probably not needed. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money remove them and pocket the money.
- Don’t let your policy lapse – Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a guaranteed way to pay more for car insurance. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance may result in fines or a revoked license.
- Advanced alarm systems – Driving a car with an alarm system can help lower your premiums. Anti-theft features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart auto theft and help lower rates.
- Low mileage costs less – The higher the mileage driven annually the more you will pay for car insurance. A lot of insurance companies apply a rate based upon how much you drive. Vehicles that have low annual miles can get a lower rate than those that get driven frequently. Make sure your car insurance coverage shows the correct usage.
Insurance agencies can find coverage gaps
Many people would rather get advice from a local agent and that is a smart decision Good insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and give you someone to call. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is that you can obtain cheap car insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is emailed to local insurance agents in Haverstraw that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to drive around because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. If for some reason you want to quote rates from one company in particular, you just need to visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing an company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price quote. The following questions are important to ask.
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Haverstraw?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
If you are searching for a local agent, it’s helpful to know the different agency structures that you can select. Car insurance agents are classified as either captive or independent. Either one can provide car insurance policies, but we need to point out how they differ because it can impact the type of agent you choose.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies work for only one company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so you might not find the best rates. Captive insurance agents are highly trained on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers sometimes use the same captive agent primarily because of the brand legacy rather than having the cheapest rates.
Shown below are captive agencies in Haverstraw willing to provide price quotes.
- Allstate Insurance Co – 22 Liberty St – Haverstraw, NY 10927 – (845) 429-4500
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are not locked into one company so they can write business with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If they find a lower price, they simply switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent. If you need lower rates, you absolutely need to include a few independent agents to get the best comparison. A lot of them also have access to smaller companies which can be an advantage.
After receiving satisfactory answers to any questions you may have as well as an affordable premium quote, it’s possible that you found an auto insurance agent that is reputable and can provide car insurance coverage.
Which is the best car insurance?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
For instance, these questions might point out if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in New York?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- How much liability coverage do I need in New York?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Additional detailed information can be found at the New York Department of Financial Services website. Visitors are able to find out which companies have the most complaints, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and learn about insurance regulations.
Car insurance buyers beware
New York consumers can’t escape the ads that claim the cheapest prices from companies such as State Farm, Allstate and Geico. All the ads convey the message that you’ll save big if you move your policy.
How is it plausible that every one can sell you cheaper insurance coverage?
All companies require specific criteria for the right customer that will generate a profit. For instance, a desirable insured may be a mature driver, has no claims, and drives a vehicle with a low ISO rating. Any driver who meets those qualifications gets the lowest auto insurance rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot if they switch.
Potential insureds who do not match the “perfect” profile will be charged more expensive rates and ends up with the customer buying from someone else. The ad wording is “drivers who switch” not “everyone who quotes” can save as much as they claim. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently lure you into getting a quote. This really illustrates why drivers should do a rate comparison at every renewal. It is impossible to predict with any certainty which company will have the best premium rates for your profile.
Better coverage you can count on
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage only to find out that the savings was not a smart move. The goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Cheaper car insurance is available from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best rate selection. Some companies don’t offer online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agencies.
You just learned many tips how you can reduce car insurance auto insurance rates online. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with the least-expected company.