Overwhelmed by the wide range of car insurance options in New Carrollton? You have a lot of company. Consumers have so many companies to choose from that it can quickly become a lot of work to find the perfect company for you.
Finding the best rates in New Carrollton is not that difficult. If you have car insurance now, you will be able to lower your premiums substantially using this strategy. Maryland consumers only need to know the tricks to compare price quotes online.
New Carrollton Car Insurance Quote Comparison
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is actually quite simple. Just take a couple of minutes comparing rates provided by online insurance companies. This can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
The single most time-saving way to get quotes is a comparison rater form click to view form in new window. This easy form keeps you from doing boring form submissions to each individual car insurance company. One form gets you coverage quotes instantly. It’s the fastest way to compare.
A less efficient way to compare prices is to take the time to go to each individual company website to request a price quote. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want rates from Allstate, Esurance and Farmers. To find out each rate you need to go to every website and enter your policy data, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in New Carrollton, click here.
The most time-consuming way to get comparison rates is to waste gas driving to different New Carrollton agent offices. The internet can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you want the personal advice of a licensed agent. You can, however, get the lowest quotes online and still use a local agent. We’ll cover that shortly.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just make absolute certain that you use exactly the same coverages and limits with each company. If the quotes have different liability limits it will be impossible to determine the best price in New Carrollton.
How can GEICO, State Farm and Progressive save drivers who switch?
Maryland consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for cheaper car insurance from the likes of GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. They all make the same claim that you’ll save big if you move your coverage to them.
How does each company make almost identical claims? This is how they do it.
Insurance companies have a certain “appetite” for the right customer that makes them money. For instance, a preferred risk might be between the ages of 40 and 55, insures multiple vehicles, and drives newer vehicles. A driver who fits that profile will qualify for the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Potential insureds who are not a match for the requirements will be charged higher prices which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state “customers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save money. That’s why companies can claim big savings. That is why it’s extremely important to compare as many rates as you can. It’s not possible to predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
Informed Drivers can Cut Their Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine your rates.
- Rates may be higher depending on your occupation – Occupations like lawyers, executives and dentists tend to pay the highest average rates due to high stress levels and lots of time spent at work. Other occupations like pilots, historians and retirees have the lowest average rates.
- Multi-policy discounts can save money – Most car insurance companies will give a discount to insureds who consolidate policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s in your best interest to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal. You may still be able to find better rates by insuring with multiple companies.
- High deductibles save money – Insurance for physical damage to your car, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, vandalism, and rolling your vehicle. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
- Performance makes a difference – The performance of the car you drive makes a huge difference in determining your rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Traffic citations inflate rates – Your driving record has a big impact on rates. Even a single ticket may increase your cost twenty percent or more. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who get flagrant violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may be required to submit a SR-22 form with their state DMV in order to keep their license.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance companies do not list every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list both well-publicized and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you are throwing money away.
- Military Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit can result in better rates.
- Driver Safety – Completing a defensive driving course could save 5% or more if you qualify.
- Distant Student – Children who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver take driver’s ed class in school.
- Club Memberships – Being a member of certain professional organizations could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for more than one vehicle on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To choose companies with discount car insurance rates in New Carrollton, follow this link.
Do I need a local agent?
Some people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! Professional agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is you can get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in New Carrollton who will compete for your insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. Now that’s easy!
Deciding on a company shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. Agents should be asked these questions:
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
Insurance agent types
When looking for a reliable agent, there are a couple of different types of agents to choose from. Agents can either be captive or independent. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth learning the difference between them because it can impact your selection of an agent.
Captive Insurance Agents
This type of agents can only write with one company and examples are American Family, Liberty Mutual and AAA. Captives cannot compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agents are very knowledgeable on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to buy from captive agents partially due to loyalty to the company and solid financial strength.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not employed by any specific company but rather can write business with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you include price quotes from at least one independent agent to have the most options to choose from. Many write coverage with smaller regional carriers which can save you money.
Once you have satisfactory answers to these questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, chances are good that you have found an insurance agency that meets your needs to properly service your car insurance policy.
Smart consumers save more
While you’re price shopping online, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an insured cut liability coverage limits only to discover later that it was a big mistake. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
You just read a lot of information how to get a better price on car insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company.
Low-cost car insurance can be found on the web and also from your neighborhood New Carrollton agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who may not provide the ability to get a quote online and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Informative consumer insurance sites
Even more information can be read at the Maryland Insurance Administration website. Visitors are able to read industry bulletins, learn about insurance regulations, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and report car insurance fraud.