If you’re looking for lower-priced insurance online, are you intimidated by the crazy number of auto insurance companies available to you? Indiana consumers have such a large number of options that it can turn into a burden to find a more affordable company. If you’ve ever been there, you know that New Haven has lots to offer, but paying high auto insurance rates can make it hard for many drivers to purchase enough protection.
To find the best auto insurance prices, there are several ways of comparing rates from different New Haven insurance companies. The recommended way to do a complete rate comparison is to get quotes online. This is very easy and can be done by using one of the methods below.
- The fastest way to get quotes is an all-inclusive rate comparison (click to open form in new window). This style of form saves time by eliminating boring form submissions for every prospective company. One quote request compares rates from many national carriers. This is by far the quickest method.
- A more difficult way to shop for auto insurance online requires visiting each company website and get a separate price quote. For sake of this example, we’ll pretend you want to get rates from Nationwide, 21st Century and GMAC. You would need to spend time on each company’s site and punch in your information repeatedly, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to insurance companies in New Haven, click here.
You can choose any of those ways to find more affodable coverage, but compare exactly the same deductibles and coverage limits for every company. If you compare unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be nearly impossible to get a fair rate comparison in New Haven. Even a minor difference in insurance coverages could skew the results. And when quoting auto insurance, remember that comparing more rates from different companies increases the change that you will find the best price. Not every company does rate quotes online, so you should also compare price quotes on coverage from those companies, too.
Find discounts on Indiana auto insurance
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of quoting, but some discounts are required to be asked about prior to getting the savings.
- Professional Organizations – Being a member of a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not a discount per se, but certain companies allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don’t have any claims for a specific time period.
- No Accidents – New Haven drivers who stay claim-free pay much less when compared to frequent claim filers.
- Paperwork-free – Many auto insurance companies will provide an incentive simply for signing on their website.
- Good Grades Discount – Being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks with the same auto insurance company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Drivers Education – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers complete a driver education course in high school.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed in the military can result in better premium rates.
Remember that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck.
If you would like to view insurers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Indiana, click here.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in New Haven?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Learn how to lower your auto insurance prices
Lots of factors are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving record, but other factors are less obvious like your continuous coverage or your commute time. One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of the rating factors that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. When you understand what determines premiums, this enables informed choices that may result in big savings.
- High performance equals high premiums – The performance of the car you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a substantial difference in your premium level. Small economy passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Premiums are high for teenagers – Teen drivers in Indiana are statistically shown to be inattentive when at the wheel of a vehicle therefore auto insurance rates are much higher. If you’ve ever had to add a young driver to your policy can be quite pricey. More experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure and receive fewer citations.
- Avoid auto insurance policy lapses – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse can be a quick way to pay more for auto insurance. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You may then be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Indiana motor vehicle department.
- Protect yourself with liability – Your policy’s liability coverage will provide protection in the event that you are responsible for personal injury or accident damage. Your liability coverage provides for a legal defense starting from day one. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to comp and collision, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Gender and car insurance premiums – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown females are less aggressive when driving. This data doesn’t prove that men are worse drivers. Men and women tend to get into auto accidents at about the same rate, but the males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically get higher numbers of serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Theft deterrents lowers rates – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Advanced theft deterrents like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping your vehicle from being stolen.
- Pay less with a high safety rating – Vehicles with high crash test scores can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer serious injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders.
Cheaper coverage is out there
The cheapest auto insurance can be found from both online companies and from local insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. A few companies do not offer internet price quotes and many times these regional carriers only sell coverage through independent agents.
We’ve covered many ideas to reduce auto insurance rates online. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier.
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Much more information about auto insurance in Indiana can be read on the Indiana Department of Insurance website found here. Visitors are able to read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, and discover disciplinary actions.
These articles may also be worth reading.