Are you a victim of high-priced car insurance? Trust us when we tell you many consumers are feeling buyer’s remorse and feel like there’s no way out.
Online insurance companies like Allstate and Progressive increase brand awareness with TV and radio ads and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you have car insurance now, you will be able to lower your premiums substantially using these methods. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Sioux Falls is quite easy. Nevertheless, South Dakota drivers should learn how big insurance companies price online insurance and use this information to your advantage.
Compare the Market for Car Insurance in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The are a couple different ways of comparing price quotes from car insurance companies in your area. The simplest method to find the lowest rates is simply to get online rate quotes. This is very easy and can be done using a couple different methods.
- The fastest way to compare a lot of rates at once is an all-inclusive rate comparison click here to open form in new window. This form eliminates the need for repetitive form entry for each company you want a rate for. One form submission will return quotes from several companies.
- A harder way to compare prices consists of visiting each company website and complete a new quote form. For example, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from Auto-Owners, Progressive and GMAC. To find out each rate you need to visit each site to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is quicker. For a list of links to insurance companies in Sioux Falls, click here.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but ensure you’re using the exact same coverages on every quote. If your comparisons have different liability limits it will be impossible to determine the best price in Sioux Falls. Just a small difference in coverage limits may result in a large different in cost. It’s important to know that comparing more company’s prices will increase your chances of finding the best rates.
Why you might pay higher rates in Sioux Falls
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what determines base rates enables informed choices that could result in big savings.
Shown below are some of the factors car insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
- Men pay higher rates – Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn’t mean men are WORSE drivers than women. Men and women are in accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to receive more costly citations such as reckless driving.
- Frequent car insurance claims increase rates – Insurance companies in South Dakota generally give discounts to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you file claims often, you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a quick way to bump up your car insurance costs. And not only will your rates increase, but not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you a steep fine or even jail time.You may need to file a SR-22 with the South Dakota motor vehicle department.
- Where you reside plays a part – Being located in a small town is a positive aspect when insuring your vehicles. Drivers in populated areas regularly have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
- Please use or commuting – The more miles you rack up on your car in a year’s time the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos that are left in the garage qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. Verify your car insurance policy shows how each vehicle is driven.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you can get discounts to help offset the cost. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time you complete a quote, but less common discounts must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Memberships – Being a member of certain professional organizations could trigger savings when buying car insurance.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Early Signing – Select companies give a discount for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. This can save 10% or more.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in Sioux Falls can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one company you may earn at least 10% off all policies.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% since new cars are generally safer.
- Driver Safety – Successfully completing a defensive driving course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck. But any discount will bring down the cost of coverage.
To choose insurers offering car insurance discounts in South Dakota, click here to view.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When buying adequate coverage, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s needs are different so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions can help discover whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Do I need higher deductibles?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required South Dakota minimum liability coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Smart consumers save more
When you buy insurance online, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
The cheapest car insurance can be found on the web and with local Sioux Falls insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Additional South Dakota car insurance resources
Additional information is available on the website for the South Dakota Division of Insurance located here. Visitors are able to read industry bulletins, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and get help finding coverage.