Feel like you’re a prisoner to high-priced car insurance? Trust us when we tell you you’re not alone. Companies like State Farm, Geico and Farmers Insurance all claim big savings, bombarding you with advertising and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the flashy ads and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you have insurance now or are looking for a new policy, you can follow these tips to find better prices while maintaining coverages. Buying car insurance in Bridgeport is not that difficult. Connecticut drivers only need an understanding of the proper way to compare prices online.
How much can you save with discounts?
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there are discounts available to reduce the price significantly. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but some must be manually applied before you will receive the discount. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- College Student – Any of your kids who live away from home and don’t have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Military Discounts – Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Employee of Federal Government – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with a few car insurance companies.
- Discount for Good Grades – This discount can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring more than one vehicle with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Bundle and Save – If you have multiple policies with one insurance company you will save approximately 10% to 15%.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you could get a free car insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way. But any discount will reduce your overall premium however.
To choose providers with the best car insurance discounts in Bridgeport, click here.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Bridgeport
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
Listed below are a few of the “ingredients” that factor into your rates.
- Older drivers pay less – Older insureds are more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel. Young drivers tend to be less responsible when behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Marriage pays dividends – Being married can get you a discount when buying car insurance. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature and it’s statistically proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Little extras can really add up – There are a ton of extra coverages that you can buy on your policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. These coverages may sound good at first, but now you might not need them so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Owning a car with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can help prevent car theft.
- Liability insurance protects assets – The liability section of your policy is the protection in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. Liability provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- More performance means more cost – The make and model of the car you are insuring makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. Small economy passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
How much car insurance do I need?
When it comes to choosing coverage, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s needs are different and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- What are Connecticut no-fault laws?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Learn more about Connecticut car insurance
Much more information about car insurance in Connecticut is located on the website for the Connecticut Insurance Department located here. Connecticut drivers can view a list of available companies, learn about specific coverages, and find disaster information.
One last thing about your coverage
Lower-priced car insurance can be purchased both online and with local Bridgeport insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies do not offer online quoting and these smaller companies work with independent agents.
While you’re price shopping online, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that it was a big error on their part. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.