Using the web to shop for Huntersville car insurance can be difficult if you have never used online quoting. But don’t be discouraged because finding affordable coverage online is easier than you think.
You should make it a habit to take a look at other company’s rates occasionally since rates tend to go up over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the best rates on your last policy you may be paying too much now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the best way to find great coverage at a great price.
This article will instruct you on the most effective way to quote insurance and some tricks to saving. If you have car insurance now, you should be able to save some money using these techniques. Nevertheless, North Carolina vehicle owners can benefit by having an understanding of the way companies determine prices.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you can get discounts that you may not even be aware of. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at quote time, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers may be able to get reduced rates.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Accident Forgiveness – A handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to the accident.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a house in Huntersville may trigger a car insurance policy discount because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Paperless Signup – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- No Accidents – Good drivers with no accidents pay much less as compared to bad drivers.
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you won’t be that lucky. But all discounts will bring down the cost of coverage.
To see a list of providers who offer car insurance discounts in North Carolina, click here to view.
Educated Consumers Know How to Buy Car Insurance Cheaper
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that come into play when calculating your car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes some of the items companies use to determine rates.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-101.jpg" alt="Huntersville North Carolina car insurance quote”/>
- High performance equals high price – The type of car you are insuring makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. The lowest base rates are usually for economy passenger cars, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles that can waste your money on your car insurance policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Pleasure use saves money – The more miles you rack up on your car every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Almost all companies rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Make sure your car insurance policy is rated on how each vehicle is driven, because it can save money.
- A clean driving record saves money – Your driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Good drivers receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Only having one speeding ticket can increase rates forty percent or more. Drivers who get flagrant violations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may be required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
- Liability coverage is cheap – Liability coverage will protect you if you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. It provides you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Increase deductibles and save – The deductibles define the amount you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims would be running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, or theft. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
Don’t assume everyone needs the same coverage
When buying coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s needs are different.
These are some specific questions may help you determine whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- When should I not file a claim?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Is there truth in advertising?
Car insurance companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Progressive regularly use ads in print and on television. They all seem to make an identical promise that you’ll save big if you move to them. But how can every company make the same claim?
All the different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that earns them a profit. An example of a driver they prefer could be between the ages of 40 and 55, is a homeowner, and has great credit. A driver who meets those qualifications receives the best rates and is almost guaranteed to cut their rates substantially.
Potential insureds who don’t measure up to this ideal profile will have to pay more money and this can result in business going elsewhere. The ad wording is “people who switch” not “people who quote” save money. That’s why insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do.
Because of the profiling, you need to get as many quotes as possible. It’s impossible to know which company will fit your personal profile best.
Additional resources for North Carolina consumers
Additional information can be read on the North Carolina Department of Insurance website found here. Visitors are able to find a variety of consumer forms, get help finding coverage, and read industry bulletins.
Shop smart and save
Discount car insurance can be sourced from both online companies in addition to many Huntersville insurance agents, so you should compare both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies do not provide online price quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Consumers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, questionable increases in premium, being labeled a high risk driver or even not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company is less work than it seems.
In this article, we covered a lot of techniques to reduce car insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.