No one enjoys paying for car insurance, especially when their premiums are through the roof.
There is such a variety of insurers to insure vehicles with, and although it’s nice to have a selection, it makes it harder to find the best rates.
It’s a good habit to compare prices before your policy renews since rates go up and down regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rates a few years ago you may be paying too much now. So forget all the misinformation about car insurance because it’s time to teach you the things you must know in order to find lower rates on car insurance.
Finding the best rates in Norfolk is not rocket science. If you have car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to lower your premiums substantially using this information. Although Virginia drivers benefit from understanding how companies market on the web and use this information to your advantage.
Norfolk Rates are Influenced by These Factors
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with lower car insurance prices.
The list below includes some of the items companies use to determine rates.
- Small claims can cost you – If you file claims often, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance companies in Virginia generally give cheaper rates to drivers who do not file claims often. Car insurance is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Liability insurance will protect you if you are found to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides legal defense coverage starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are a ton of add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying if you aren’t careful. Coverages for rental car reimbursement, accidental death and motor club memberships are some examples. These may sound like a good investment initially, but if you don’t need them eliminate them to save money.
- Being married can save on car insurance – Getting married actually saves money on your policy. Having a spouse usually means you are more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Your location affects your rates – Residing in a small town has it’s advantages when it comes to car insurance. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. City drivers have to deal with congested traffic and longer commutes to work. More time on the road translates into higher accident risk.
- Higher deductibles cost less – The deductibles define the amount you are required to spend if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, or theft. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your car insurance will be.
Cut your premium with discounts
Car insurance companies don’t list every discount very clearly, so we researched some of the best known as well as the least known car insurance savings.
- Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment may qualify you for a discount with certain companies.
- Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization could trigger savings on your policy.
- Payment Discounts – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Homeowners Savings – Simply owning a home may earn you a small savings because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think you could get a free car insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
For a list of insurers with discount car insurance rates in Virginia, click here to view.
But I prefer to buy car insurance from an agent
Some consumers prefer to sit down with an agent. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you may find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After filling out this simple form, your coverage information is submitted to participating agents in Norfolk who will compete for your insurance coverage. You never need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier! You can find better rates AND an agent nearby.
Picking a company shouldn’t rely on just the price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
To view a list of agents in Norfolk to contact, visit this link.
Upon receiving positive responses to your questions and an affordable coverage quote, you may have just found an insurer that will properly insure your vehicles.
To find out more about Virginia car insurance
Even more information is available at the Virginia Bureau of Insurance website. Virginia consumers can find disaster information, discover disciplinary actions, and report car insurance fraud.
Better coverage you can count on
You just learned some good ideas how you can lower your car insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like Progressive and Geico.
Budget-conscious car insurance can be bought both online in addition to many Norfolk insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.