No one likes paying for car insurance, especially knowing their premiums are through the roof.
Insurance companies such as Progressive, State Farm and GEICO constantly bombard you with advertising and it can be hard to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and take the time to shop coverage around.
It’s smart to compare rates occasionally because prices tend to go up over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price six months ago other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to learn the things you must know in order to find great coverage at a great price.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to cut costs considerably using this strategy. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Ocean City is not that difficult. But New Jersey consumers do need to know how companies market on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
Free Quotes for Car Insurance in Ocean City
To find the best car insurance prices, there are several ways to get quotes from local in Ocean Citycar insurance companies. The easiest way to find the cheapest insurance rates is simply to get online rate quotes. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The easiest and least time consuming way to get the best comparison quotes would be an industry-wide quote request form (click to open form in new window). This type of form eliminates the need for separate quotation requests for each company. One form submission gets you coverage quotes from many national carriers.
- A slightly less efficient method to get comparison quotes consists of visiting the website of each company and request a quote. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from Liberty Mutual, Safeco and Farmers. To get rate quotes you would need to go to every website and enter your information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Ocean City, click here.
- The most time-consuming method of comparing rate quotes to and from local Ocean City insurance agencies. Shopping for car insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you require the professional advice only provided by licensed Ocean City agents. It is possible to obtain prices from the web and still use a local agent.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just be sure to compare identical coverage limits and deductibles on every quote you get. If each company quotes different deductibles it’s not possible to make an equal comparison in Ocean City. Slightly different insurance coverages may result in a large different in cost. Keep in mind that more quotes will increase your chances of finding the best rates.
Switch companies and save? Really?
Companies like Allstate and Progressive consistently run ads on television and other media. All the ads make the same claim that you can save if you change your coverage to them. How does each company say the same thing? This is how they do it.
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that makes them money. A good example of a driver they prefer might be between the ages of 40 and 55, has no prior claims, and has a short commute. Any driver who fits that profile will get the preferred rates and is almost guaranteed to save when they switch companies.
Consumers who don’t meet this ideal profile must pay more money and ends up with business going elsewhere. Company advertisements say “customers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do.
This illustrates why it’s extremely important to get as many comparisons as possible. It’s impossible to know the company that will give you the biggest savings.
Get Cheaper Rates by Understanding Pricing
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that help determine your car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower car insurance prices.
- Your location affects your rates – Residing in a rural area can be a good thing when insuring your vehicles. City drivers tend to have much more traffic and longer commute times. Lower population means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
- Lower deductibles cost more – Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims could be collision with another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and burglary. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- The more you drive the more you pay – The more miles you rack up on your car each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers rate vehicles based on their usage. Autos not used for work or commuting receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Ask your agent if your car insurance policy is rated on how each vehicle is driven, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Some companies will award you with lower prices to customers who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, you may still want to shop around to make sure you are getting the best deal. Drivers may still find better rates by buying car insurance from a different company.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Driving a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Theft prevention devices such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder your car from being stolen.
- Lower rates come with age – Older drivers are more cautious drivers, file fewer claims and get fewer tickets. Teenage drivers are known to be careless and easily distracted behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but discounts can save money and there are some available to cut the cost considerably. Most are applied at quote time, but some must be specially asked for before you will receive the discount.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home may earn you a small savings due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you will save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Memberships – Belonging to a professional or civic organization could trigger savings when shopping for car insurance.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Defensive Driver – Completing a course in driver safety could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts when compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts up to 30%.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
Keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky. But all discounts will cut the amount you have to pay.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to buying the best car insurance coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if you might need professional guidance.
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Are my friends covered when driving my vehicle?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Neighborhood agents for car insurance
Some people would rather talk to a local agent and that is OK! One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is you can get better rates but also keep your business local. Buying from local agencies is definitely important in Ocean City.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will battle to get your business. There is no need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered to your email. How cool is that?! You can find better rates AND a local agent.
Ocean City insurance agencies come in two flavors
When researching a good Ocean City insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agents from which to choose. Ocean City agents are classified as either captive or independent.
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company but rather can write business with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparison shopping, you should always include price quotes from at least one independent agent for maximum quote selection.
Listed below is a short list of independent agents in Ocean City who can help you get price quotes.
Barra Vaughn Insurance – 226 West Ave – Ocean City, NJ 08226 – (609) 391-1856
R E Darby Agency Inc – 700 West Ave – Ocean City, NJ 08226 – (609) 399-0049
Thomas H Heist Insurance – 700 West Ave – Ocean City, NJ 08226 – (609) 399-0655
Mc Mahon Agency Inc – 2131 Asbury Ave – Ocean City, NJ 08226 – (609) 399-0060
This type of agents work for only one company like American Family, State Farm and Allstate. These agents are not able to place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Deciding on an auto insurance agent should depend on more than just the premium amount. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in New Jersey?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- How long has their agency been open in Ocean City?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
Once you have positive responses to your questions and a low price estimate, chances are good that you have found an auto insurance agent that will insure your vehicles.
More quotes mean more savings
We’ve covered quite a bit of information on how to shop for car insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more you quote, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even discover the lowest rates come from the smaller companies. Regional companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
Cost effective car insurance is attainable from both online companies and with local Ocean City insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies do not offer online quoting and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
Additional resources for New Jersey consumers
Additional information is available on the website for the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance found here. New Jersey consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find out industry alerts, and read consumer alerts.