Are you a victim of high-priced car insurance? Trust us, there are many Skowhegan consumers feeling the pinch from expensive car insurance.
Drivers have multiple insurers to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, it can be more challenging to adequately compare rates.
You need to do rate comparisons periodically because rates change quite often. Just because you had the lowest rates two years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding car insurance on the web, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some guaranteed methods to quit paying high car insurance rates.
Buying car insurance in Skowhegan is easy if you know what you’re doing. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will be able to save some money using these methods. But Maine vehicle owners need to learn how companies price online insurance and use this information to your advantage.
How to Compare Car Insurance Costs in Skowhegan, ME
The are a couple different ways to compare quotes from local in Skowhegan, MEcar insurance companies. The best way to find the lowest rates is to perform an online rate comparison. This can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- The recommended way to find the lowest comparison rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison click to view form in new window. This type of form eliminates the need for repetitive form entry for each company you want a rate for. A single, simple form gets rate comparisons from multiple low-cost companies.
- A different way to get quotes online consists of visiting the website of each company and fill out their own quote form. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want comparison quotes from Geico, 21st Century and Progressive. To get each rate you have to spend time on each company’s site and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to insurance companies in Skowhegan, click here.
- The most time-consuming way to get comparison rates is driving around to local Skowhegan insurance agencies. The internet makes this process obsolete unless you have a need for the professional advice only provided by licensed Skowhegan agents. However, consumers can comparison shop your insurance online and still use a local agent and we’ll touch on that later.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just make sure you use identical coverages for each comparison quote. If your comparisons have different deductibles you will not be able to determine which rate is truly the best in Skowhegan. Slightly different coverage limits may cause a big price difference. Keep in mind that more quotes will improve the odds of getting a lower rate.
Are you getting all your discounts?
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list both the well known and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving.
- Good Student – Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers can save substantially when compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Club Memberships – Participating in a civic or occupational organization could qualify you for a break when shopping for car insurance.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of insurance companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy on their website.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with the same insurance company you may save 10% to 20% off each policy.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way.
To choose insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Skowhegan, click this link.
But don’t I need an insurance agent?
Certain consumers would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is you can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your insurance data is transmitted to local insurance agents in Skowhegan who will give you bids to get your business. There is no need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. How’s that for easy! You’ll get the best rates and a licensed agent to work with.
Selecting a company should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. These are valid questions to ask:
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- How are they compensated?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
Types of insurance agents
When searching for a good Skowhegan insurance agent, there are a couple of types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents are classified as either independent or captive.
Captive agents write business for a single company and some examples include State Farm, AAA and Liberty Mutual. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. They are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not employed by any specific company but instead can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to contact several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison.
Below are Skowhegan independent agents that are able to give price quote information.
Skowhegan Insurance – 108 Madison Ave – Skowhegan, ME 04976 – (207) 474-8371
William E Clark Insurance – 74 Madison Ave – Skowhegan, ME 04976 – (207) 474-8400
For a complete listing of insurance agents in Skowhegan, simply jump to this page.
After receiving acceptable answers and locked in a price quote, you may have just found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to service your policy.
Even more information can be read at the Maine Bureau of Insurance website. Maine drivers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, read consumer alerts, discover disciplinary actions, and view agent and company licensing information.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford.
You just read a lot of information how to compare car insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier. These smaller insurers often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.