I can’t think of anyone who enjoys paying for car insurance, in particular when the price is too high.
Many insurers vie to insure your vehicles, and it can be difficult to compare rates to find the lowest cost out there.
Components of your insurance rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. Understanding what impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- High deductibles save money – Your deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and windstorm damage. The higher the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – Your policy’s liability coverage is the protection when you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides you with a defense in court starting from day one. Liability insurance is quite affordable as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations such as real estate brokers, executives and financial analysts have higher average rates due to stressful work requirements and long work hours. Conversely, occupations like farmers, engineers and homemakers get better rates.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – Credit history is a big factor in determining your rates. If your credit score is not that good, you could pay less to insure your by improving your credit score. Drivers with good credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
- Lower miles equals lower premium – The higher the mileage driven each year the more you will pay for car insurance. Most companies apply a rate determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles not used for work or commuting qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet properly reflects the correct usage for each vehicle.
Vehicle Insurance Comparison
The are a couple different ways to compare rate quotes and find the best price. The recommended way to compare insurance prices involves getting comparison quotes online. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- One of the simplest ways consumers can make multiple comparisons is a comparison rater form click to view form in new window. This easy form eliminates the need for a different quote for each company you want a rate for. Taking the time to complete one form gets rate comparisons instantly.
- A different way to compare rate quotes is to take the time to go to the website for each individual company and request a quote. For example, we’ll pretend you want comparison quotes from Liberty Mutual, Safeco and Farmers. To find out each rate you need to spend time on each company’s site and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is quicker. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Coffeyville, click here.
- The hardest method of getting rate comparisons is to spend time driving to different Coffeyville agent offices. The internet has reduced the need for local agents unless you prefer the trained guidance of a licensed agent. However, consumers can compare online quotes and get advice from an agent in your area and we’ll cover that in a bit.
Whichever way you use, compare the exact same coverage information with each company. If you use mixed coverages then you won’t be able to make a fair comparison in Coffeyville. Just a small difference in coverages can make a big difference in price. And when comparison shopping, comparing a large number of companies gives you a better chance of getting the best rates.
Discounts are basically free money
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you complete an application, but less common discounts must be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Accident Waiver – Some insurance companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory air bags can receive discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% with a few car insurance companies.
- E-sign – A few companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- Multiple Cars – Having all your vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Life Insurance – Larger companies have a break if you buy life insurance.
- Claim Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
Consumers should know that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will bring down your premiums.
Comparing rates from local agents
Some people just want to get advice from a local agent and that is OK! The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is you can get lower rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local agencies is important particularly in Coffeyville.
By using this simple form, the coverage information is sent to participating agents in Coffeyville who will battle for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. It doesn’t get any easier! You can find better rates AND an agent nearby.
Types of insurance agencies in Coffeyville
When searching for an insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures from which to choose. Agents can either be independent or captive.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents do not work for one specific company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When searching for an agent, you should always include price quotes from multiple independent agents to get the best comparison.
Listed below is a short list of independent agents in Coffeyville who may be able to give you rate quotes.
Professional Insurance Assoc – 108 S Overlook Dr – Coffeyville, KS 67337 – (620) 251-8044
Harold Mann Insurance – 1109 W 8th St – Coffeyville, KS 67337 – (620) 251-3680
Captive Insurance Agents
This type of agents can only write with one company and some examples include State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agents are trained well on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below is a short list of captive agents in Coffeyville that are able to give price quotes.
American Family Insurance – 1304 W 11th St – Coffeyville, KS 67337 – (620) 251-3198
Farm Bureau Insurance – 113 W 7th St – Coffeyville, KS 67337 – (620) 251-6597
State Farm Insurance – 711 W 8th St – Coffeyville, KS 67337 – (620) 251-7100
Shelter Insurance – 616 W 11th St – Coffeyville, KS 67337 – (620) 251-3430
To view a complete directory of car insurance agents in Coffeyville, visit this site.
Choosing an auto insurance agent should depend on more than just the premium amount. Here are some questions to ask:
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
Upon getting positive feedback to your questions and a low price estimate, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that can properly service your car insurance policy.
It’s not one size fits all
When it comes to buying the best car insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance needs to address that. These are some specific questions might help in determining whether or not you could use an agent’s help.
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Kansas?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- What are Kansas no-fault laws?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Much more information about car insurance in Kansas can be read on the website for the Kansas Insurance Department through this link. Visitors are able to find out which companies have the most complaints, file complaints about a company, find a variety of consumer forms, and report car insurance fraud.
More comparisons equals lower rates
We just covered many ways to get a better price on car insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even find the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company. They may only write in your state and offer lower rates than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
Budget-conscious car insurance is attainable from both online companies in addition to many Coffeyville insurance agents, so compare prices from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.