Are you overwhelmed by the number of car insurance company choices in Colchester? Many other drivers are as well. There are so many choices that it can be a real challenge to find the best price.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Colchester, Vermont
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways to get quotes from different in Colchester, Vermontinsurance companies. The simplest method to find the lowest rates is simply to get online rate quotes. This can be done in several different ways.
- The first (and easiest) way to get the best comparison quotes is a comparison rater form click to view form in new window. This type of form prevents you from having to do separate forms for every car insurance company. A single form will return quotes from multiple companies. This is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time.
- A more time consuming way to compare rate quotes consists of visiting each company’s website and complete a new quote form. For sake of this example, we’ll assume you want comparison quotes from Liberty Mutual, Geico and Farmers. To get each rate you have to visit each site to enter your coverage information, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Colchester, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but make absolute certain that you use exactly the same quote information with each company. If you compare higher or lower deductibles it’s impossible to determine the best price in Colchester. Just a small difference in insurance coverages may cause a big price difference. Just keep in mind that getting more free quotes will improve the odds of getting a better price.
Do you really save 40% when you switch?
Car insurance providers like State Farm, Allstate and Geico consistently run television and radio advertisements. They all make an identical promise about savings if you change to them. But how can every company make the same claim? It’s all in the numbers.
Insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the driver they prefer to insure. A good example of a preferred risk might be profiled as between the ages of 30 and 50, has no driving citations, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who don’t meet the requirements will have to pay more money and this can result in the customer not buying. The ads say “customers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save money. This is how insurance companies can make the claims of big savings. Because of the profiling, you should compare as many rates as you can. You cannot predict which company will have the lowest rates.
How to Lower your Car Insurance Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with lower car insurance prices.
- One company can mean more discounts – Some companies will give a discount to insureds who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, you still need to compare other company rates to make sure you are getting the best deal. Drivers may still find a better deal by buying car insurance from a different company.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Young drivers in Vermont are known to be more careless when driving so they pay higher car insurance rates. Adding a teenage driver onto a policy can be quite pricey. More mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The performance level of the car you own makes a huge difference in your rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger models generally receive the lowest base rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? – Liability coverage is the protection if ever you are found liable for damages from an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is very inexpensive when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not skimp.
- Never go without insurance – Driving without insurance is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage have a gap. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Vermont motor vehicle department.
- Men pay higher rates – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. Men and women cause accidents at a similar rate, but the men have costlier accidents. Men also statistically receive more costly citations such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are most likely to cause an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- More claims means more premium – If you frequently file small claims, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Car insurance companies in Vermont generally give better rates to policyholders who are claim-free. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Better credit means lower rates – Having a bad credit rating is a big factor in determining your rates. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower ratings. So if your credit history can use some improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your rating.
Save money by taking advantage of these discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list every discount in an easy-to-find place, so we break down some of the best known and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance.
- No Charge for an Accident – A few companies will allow you to have one accident before your rates go up so long as you haven’t had any claims for a set time period.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for switching policies before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring more than one vehicle on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could get a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Life Insurance Discount – Larger companies have better rates if you take out life insurance from them.
- Club Memberships – Belonging to a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for car insurance.
- Student in College – Youth drivers who live away from home without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Save over 55 – Mature drivers can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can actually save on your bill.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though they make it sound like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you’re out of luck.
To choose insurers with the best car insurance discounts in Colchester, click here to view.
When should I use an insurance agent?
When buying the best car insurance coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if you may require specific advice.
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
One last thing
You just read many tips how you can reduce car insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the most savings is with a small local company.
Insureds leave their current company for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, unfair underwriting practices, policy cancellation or even being labeled a high risk driver. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is less work than it seems.
Cheap car insurance is definitely available online in addition to many Colchester insurance agents, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not provide online quoting and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Even more information is located at the Vermont Department of Financial Regulation website. Vermont drivers can download brochures, discover disciplinary actions, and report car insurance fraud.