There isn’t anyone who enjoys paying for car insurance, particularly when the cost is too high. Insurance companies such as Allstate and Progressive increase brand awareness with ads and it can be hard to avoid their marketing magic and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
Get cheaper car insurance with these tips
Lots of factors are considered when you get your auto insurance bill. Most are fairly basic like an MVR report, but others are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating. The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at some of the things that aid in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you understand what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that could help you find cheaper rates.
- Drive less and get lower prices – Driving a lot of miles annually the higher the price you pay to insure it. Many insurance companies calculate rates determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Ask your agent if your vehicle rating is rated on the proper vehicle usage.
- Keep policy claims to a minimum – If you tend to file frequent claims, you should expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Car insurance companies in Indiana provide the lowest premiums to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Better drivers pay less – Even one speeding ticket can bump up the cost substantially. Careful drivers receive lower rates as compared to careless drivers. Drivers who have dangerous violations like reckless driving or DUI may find they need to complete a SR-22 with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Cheaper car insurance rates using alarm systems – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Systems that thwart theives like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help stop vehicle theft.
The quickest method we recommend to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to know auto insurance companies allow for online access to compare their rates. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is provide a small amount of information like if the car is leased, if it has an alarm system, your job, and how much coverage you want. That information is submitted instantly to multiple different insurance companies and they respond with quotes within a short period of time.
To compare rates for your car now, click here and find out if you can get cheaper insurance.
Save $413 a year. For real?
Car insurance providers like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO continually stream ads in print and on television. All the ads state the claim about savings if you change to them. How is it plausible that every one can charge lower premium rates? It’s all in the words they use.
Insurance providers have underwriting criteria for the right customer that will be a good risk. An example of this type of risk profile should be married and over the age of 30, insures multiple vehicles, and has great credit. Any person that meets those criteria will qualify for the lowest premium rates in Bedford and therefore will cut their rates if they switch.
Consumers who may not quite match this ideal profile may receive a higher premium which usually ends up with the customer buying from someone else. The ads state “people who switch” not “all people who quote” save that much when switching. That’s why companies can make those statements.
Each company has different criteria, so you really need to quotes as often as possible. It’s impossible to know the company that will have the best prices for your profile.
Do you qualify for discount car insurance?
Companies don’t always advertise every possible discount in an easy-to-find place, so the following list contains a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits available to you. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not really a discount, but a few companies such as GEICO, State Farm, and Progressive will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- 55 and Retired – Seniors may be able to get lower premium rates.
- Distant Student Discount – who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car could get you a discount.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Driving Data Discount – People who choose to allow driving data collection to scrutinize driving patterns by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks if they show good driving skills.
- Military Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower prices.
- Own a Home and Save – Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings due to the fact that maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
As a sidenote, most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, that’s just not realistic. But any discount will lower the amount you pay for coverage.
A partial list of companies who might offer these money-saving discounts include:
Before you buy a policy, ask every company which discounts you qualify for. All car insurance discounts may not be available in your state. If you would like to view car insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Indiana, click here.
Much more information about car insurance in Indiana can be found on the Indiana Department of Insurance website located here. Indiana drivers can find out industry alerts, file complaints about a company, and report car insurance fraud.
The following articles may also be useful.
- Learn to Find the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates From Agents in Bedford
- Never Shop For New Bedford, MA Car Insurance Without Knowing These Money Saving Methods
- Useful Tips for Searching for a New Bedford, MA Insurance Agent
One last thing to lower rates
More affordable car insurance can be sourced both online and from local insurance agents, so you need to with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who may not have internet price quotes and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent agents.
In this article, we covered a lot of information how to shop for car insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the most savings is with the least-expected company. Smaller companies often have lower auto insurance rates on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.