Cutting costs on Atlanta car insurance is always nearly impossible for beginners to shopping for insurance online. Consumers have so many choices that it can turn into a real hassle to find lower rates in Atlanta.
You need to compare rates once or twice a year due to the fact that insurance rates change quite often. Just because you had the best deal a couple years back a different company probably has better rates today. So just block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re going to learn the best way to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Choosing the best insurance company for you in Atlanta is not that difficult. In a nutshell, everyone who shops for car insurance will most likely be able to reduce their rates. But Georgia consumers do need to understand the way companies market on the web and use this information to your advantage.
How your Atlanta rates are determined
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in lower car insurance prices.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping car theft.
- Your stress level may be raising your rates – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers like real estate brokers, social workers and financial analysts have higher average rates because of stressful work requirements and long work days. Conversely, professions such as actors, engineers and performers get better rates.
- No coverage gaps is important – Driving without insurance is illegal and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage have a gap. Not only will you pay more, getting caught without coverage can result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may have to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Georgia department of motor vehicles.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Most companies will award you with lower prices to people who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you’re getting this discount you still need to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Your policy’s liability coverage will protect you if ever you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. It provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- High deductibles save money – The deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are colliding with a building, damage from fire, and windstorm damage. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Mature drivers pay less – Youthful drivers in Georgia tend to be more careless in a vehicle so they pay higher car insurance rates. Mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
These discounts can slash car insurance rates
Companies do not list every available discount very well, so we break down some of the best known and the harder-to-find ways to save on car insurance.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for more than one vehicle on the same car insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Federal Government Employee – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Drivers Education – Have your child enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Accident Forgiveness – Certain companies will allow you to have one accident without raising rates as long as you don’t have any claims prior to the accident.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with a substantially lower rate.
- Life Insurance – Larger companies have better rates if you take out a life insurance policy as well.
It’s important to note that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
Don’t I need to talk to an agent?
Certain consumers just want to buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that you can find better rates and still have an agent to talk to.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information is emailed to companies in Atlanta who will return price quotes to get your business. There is no reason to drive around as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. How cool is that?! Get lower rates and a licensed agent to work with.
Deciding on a company should depend on more than just the price. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- How are claims handled?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
What types of auto insurance agents are in Atlanta?
When looking for a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are two different types of agents from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Atlanta are either independent or captive.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive insurance agents are contracted to one company such as State Farm, AAA and Liberty Mutual. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captive agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Some consumers prefer to purchase coverage from captives primarily because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below is a list of captive insurance agencies in Atlanta that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 3695 Cascade Rd SW # J – Atlanta, GA 30331 – (404) 691-8662
- State Farm Insurance – 2859 N Druid Hills Rd NE # A – Atlanta, GA 30329 – (404) 634-2447
- Allstate Insurance – 4849 Buford Hwy # 112 – Atlanta, GA 30341 – (770) 457-4800
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents are not locked into one company but instead can place your coverage with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When shopping rates, it’s recommended you include price quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from. They often place coverage with smaller regional carriers who may have lower rates.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Atlanta who can help you get price quotes.
- Asher Agency – 2460 Peachtree Rd NW # 103 – Atlanta, GA 30305 – (404) 231-3253
- ATI Auto-Town Insurance Inc – 1394 Moreland Ave SE – Atlanta, GA 30316 – (404) 622-1011
- Bob Bronaugh Agency Inc – 5901 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE – Atlanta, GA 30328 – (770) 481-0120
- Eastern Aviation Insurance – 1950 Airport Rd – Atlanta, GA 30341 – (770) 458-6510
- Action Auto Agency – 2555 Bolton Rd NW – Atlanta, GA 30318 – (404) 581-9922
For a full directory of insurance agents in Atlanta, visit this site.
After receiving acceptable answers to any questions you have and an affordable coverage quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agency that meets your needs to properly service your car insurance policy.
More information about car insurance
More tips and info about car insurance is available at the Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner website. Georgia drivers can get help finding coverage, read industry bulletins, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
Cheaper car insurance can be bought from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Atlanta agents, so compare prices from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies may not provide online quoting and these smaller companies work with independent agents.
You just learned many tips how you can get a better price on car insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with the smaller companies.
Drivers leave their current company for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, high rates after DUI convictions, policy cancellation and even denial of a claim. No matter why you want to switch, finding a great new company can be pretty painless.