Finding lower rates for Huntington car insurance can seem to be difficult for consumers not familiar with shopping for insurance online. You have so many options available that it can quickly become a ton of work to find lower rates in Huntington.
It’s a good habit to check car insurance prices yearly since insurance rates tend to go up over time. If you had the best rates a year ago you can probably find a lower rate today. There is a lot of bad advice regarding car insurance online, so we’re going to give you some good information on how to save money.
If you have a current car insurance policy or are looking for a new policy, you will benefit by learning to get lower rates and possibly find even better coverage. Finding affordable coverage in Huntington is not that difficult. New York drivers just need to learn the best way to buy car insurance on the web.
Car Insurance Comparison Rates in Huntington, New York
Most companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm quote insurance quotes online. The process is quite easy as you simply enter as detailed in the form. When the form is submitted, their rating system collects your driving record and credit report and quotes a price determined by many factors.
Online quotes makes it a lot easier to compare rates but the time it takes to visit multiple sites and enter the same data into a form is monotonous and tiresome. Unfortunately, it is important to compare as many rates as possible if you want to find the lowest price.
The better way to compare rates
An easier way to locate the lowest prices utilizes a single form that obtains quotes from more than one company. The form is fast, helps eliminate reptitive entry, and makes online quotes a little more enjoyable. Once the form is submitted, your coverage is rated and you can choose any of the resulting price quotes. If a lower price is quoted, you can click and sign and buy the policy. The whole process can be completed in a matter of minutes and you’ll know if lower rates are available.
In order to compare rates using this form now, click here to open in new window and complete the simple form. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you duplicate the coverage information identical to your current policy. Doing this assures you are getting a price comparison based on similar coverages.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always publicize all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find some of the more common and also the lesser-known ways to save on car insurance. If they aren’t giving you every credit possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- E-sign – A few companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application digitally online.
- Memberships – Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child enroll in driver’s education in high school.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially when compared with bad drivers.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying coverage on a new vehicle is cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
Consumers should know that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck.
To see a list of insurers who offer car insurance discounts in Huntington, click this link.
Informed Drivers can Cut Their Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that help determine car insurance rates. Knowing what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – The majority of companies provide better rates to policyholders who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount, you still need to compare rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Men are more aggressive – The statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. They both are in accidents in similar numbers, but the males have costlier accidents. They also receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers are most likely to cause an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Do you know your deductibles? – Physical damage coverage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be collision with another vehicle, vandalism, and windstorm damage. Deductibles for physical damage are how much you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Youthful drivers in New York are known to be more careless behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. Adding a teen driver onto a policy can be very expensive. Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Save money with special equipment – Driving a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Anti-theft devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all hinder auto theft.
- Clean credit earns discounts – Having a bad credit score is a large factor in determining your rates. People with high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers with poor credit. If your credit is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your rating.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Liability insurance will protect you in the event that you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability is cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
Neighborhood insurance agents
Some people just want to talk to a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Good agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find better rates and still choose a local agent.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is sent to agents in your area who will give you bids for your coverage. There is no reason to leave your computer as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. Now that’s easy!
Deciding on an insurer should depend on more than just the price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- How are claims handled?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
Insurance agent types
If you’re trying to find an insurance agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents that you can select. Insurance agencies in Huntington are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive. Either one can write coverage properly, but it’s worth mentioning the differences because it can influence your agent selection.
Captive agents are contracted to one company like State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Captives receive extensive training on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to buy insurance from these agents partially due to the brand legacy and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following are Huntington captive agencies that can give you price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance Co – 233 E Main St – Huntington, NY 11743 – (631) 423-1200
- State Farm Insurance – 190 E Main St – Huntington, NY 11743 – (631) 424-6333
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to get quotes from at least one independent agent for maximum quote selection. They also have the ability to place coverage with smaller regional carriers who may have lower rates.
Below are independent agents in Huntington that can give you rate quotes.
- Joseph P O’Brien Agency – 454 New York Ave – Huntington, NY 11743 – (631) 421-0505
- Krueger Agency – 487 New York Ave – Huntington, NY 11743 – (631) 423-0950
- Robert S Fede Insurance – 23 Green St # 102 – Huntington, NY 11743 – (631) 385-1760
- John Callahan Agency Inc – 294 New York Ave – Huntington, NY 11743 – (631) 271-1615
- Best Insurance Brokerage LTD – 20 High St – Huntington, NY 11743 – (631) 424-3535
To view a full list of insurance agents in Huntington, visit this site.
Once you have satisfactory answers to all your questions and a low price estimate, it’s possible that you found an auto insurance agent that can properly service your car insurance policy.
More detailed New York car insurance information can be read at the New York Department of Financial Services website. New York drivers can file complaints about a company, learn about specific coverages, and view a list of available companies.
The articles below may also help you learn more about car insurance in Huntington
Do drivers who switch really save $490 a year?
Consumers can’t get away from ads for cheaper car insurance by Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. All the ads make the same claim about savings if you change to their company.
But how can every company make the same claim?
All companies have a preferred profile for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a desirable insured might be between 30 and 50, has no tickets, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. A customer that hits that “sweet spot” gets the lowest rates and as a result will probably save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who don’t measure up to these standards will have to pay a higher premium which leads to business not being written. Company advertisements say “customers that switch” not “people who quote” save that much money. This is how insurance companies can confidently claim big savings. Because of the profiling, you absolutely need to get quotes from several different companies. Because you never know which car insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
Best coverage at the best price
As you restructure your insurance plan, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
We just showed you some good ideas how to shop for car insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more you quote, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers could even find that the best price on car insurance is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Cheap car insurance can be sourced both online in addition to many Huntington insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers do not provide online price quotes and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.