Have you had enough of scraping the payment together each month for car insurance? You are in the same boat as many other Georgia drivers. There are many auto insurance companies to pick from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, too many choices makes it more difficult to find the lowest cost provider.
Buying car insurance in Lawrenceville is not rocket science. If you have a policy now or need a new policy, you can follow these tips to reduce the price you pay while maximizing coverage. Georgia vehicle owners just need to learn the proper way to get comparison rates over the internet.
What impacts Lawrenceville insurance rates?
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. Understanding what controls the rates you pay enables informed choices that could result in better car insurance rates.
- Lower miles equals lower premium – The more you drive in a year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage based on their usage. Cars not used for work or commuting qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your car insurance policy shows the correct driver usage.
- Occupation reflects on rates – Occupations such as lawyers, business owners and stock brokers are shown to have the highest rates in part from job stress and lengthy work days. On the other hand, jobs such as pilots, students and the unemployed pay the least.
- Bundling policies can get discounts – Some car insurance companies will award you with lower prices to policyholders who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you still need to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Drivers may still find better rates by insuring with multiple companies.
- You might want pay the small claims yourself – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Auto insurance companies in Georgia provide cheaper rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. Auto insurance is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Where you reside plays a part – Residing in small towns and rural areas can save you money when buying car insurance. Lower population means reduced accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. City drivers tend to have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Longer commute distances means more change of being in an accident.
- Being married is a good thing – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. Marriage usually means you are more mature it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- Better credit scores mean better rates – Credit score is a important factor in your rate calculation. People with excellent credit tend to be more responsible than drivers with lower ratings. Therefore, if your credit history is low, you could pay less to insure your by improving your rating.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Driving your car without having proper coverage is illegal and as a result your rates will increase for letting your insurance lapse. Not only will you pay more, getting caught without coverage can result in a revoked license or a big fine.
Take discounts and save
Auto insurance companies do not list every discount very well, so the following is a list of some of the best known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving. If you don’t get every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings up to 30%.
- Homeowners Discount – Being a homeowner may trigger a car insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Discount for Swiching Early – A few companies offer discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for more than one vehicle on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
Drivers should understand that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears you could get a free car insurance policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
For a list of insurers with the best car insurance discounts in Georgia, click here to view.
More tips and info about car insurance is located at the Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner website. Georgia consumers can read industry bulletins, find a variety of consumer forms, find out industry alerts, and report car insurance fraud.
Shop smart and save
We just presented a lot of techniques to shop for car insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies often have lower prices on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Cheaper car insurance can be bought both online in addition to many Lawrenceville insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not provide online quoting and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where someone dropped liability coverage limits only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the best price.