Beginners to buying insurance online may find shopping for low-cost Ocean View car insurance is harder than they anticipated.
Make smart decisions and save
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that help determine car insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in big savings.
- Drive a safer car and pay less – Safer cars are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- Multi-policy discounts can save money – The majority of companies will give a discount to customers who consolidate policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s in your best interest to comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Consumers may find a better deal by insuring with multiple companies.
- Increase deductibles and save – Coverage for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply are colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, and burglary. The deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your car insurance will be.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The performance of the car you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. The lowest base rates tend to be for lower performance four cylinder passenger vehicles, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs such as lawyers, business owners and dentists have the highest average rates because of high stress and long work days. Other occupations such as scientists, historians and performers get better rates.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – Liability insurance is the coverage that protects you if a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. It provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft devices like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping auto theft.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates – Drivers with clean records tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. Only having one citation may increase your cost by as much as thirty percent. If you have serious violations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may find they need to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
How to Compare Car Insurance Costs in Ocean View
Lowering your car insurance rates isn’t really that difficult. The only thing you need to do is spend a few minutes on the computer to compare quotes online from several insurance companies. This is very easy and can be done in several different ways.
The recommended way to compare a lot of rates at once is an all-inclusive rate comparison like this one (opens in new window). This easy form saves time by eliminating separate quote forms to each individual car insurance company. One quote request gets you coverage quotes from car insurance companies with the best prices. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
Another way to get comparison quotes is to manually visit each company website and fill out their own quote form. For examples sake, let’s say you want to compare GEICO, 21st Century and GMAC. You would have to go to every website and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
To view a list of companies in Ocean View, click here.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just ensure you are comparing the exact same deductibles and coverage limits with each company. If you are comparing mixed coverages you can’t possibly determine the best price in Ocean View.
Don’t miss out on these money-saving discounts
Companies do not list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list some of the best known and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for signing up before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- No Charge for an Accident – A few companies allow you one accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Being a homeowner can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- 55 and Retired – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may receive better car insurance rates.
- Distant Student – Youth drivers who are attending college and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way.
To choose insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in Delaware, click here to view.
Do I need special coverages?
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different.
These are some specific questions can help discover if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Are my friends covered when driving my vehicle?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- What is the minimum liability in Delaware?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Even more information can be read at the Delaware Department of Insurance website. Delaware drivers can read consumer alerts, read industry bulletins, and file complaints about a company.
A tidy conclusion
Insureds change insurance companies for any number of reasons including high prices, high rates after DUI convictions, questionable increases in premium or denial of a claim. Whatever your reason, finding the right car insurance provider is actually quite simple.
When buying insurance coverage, don’t be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
Budget-conscious car insurance can be purchased both online and with local Ocean View insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.