Searching for better insurance prices for a GMC Terrain can be a painful process, but you can follow a few tricks and make it easy.
There is a right way and a wrong way to find car insurance online so we’re going to tell you the absolute fastest way to get price quotes for a new or used GMC and obtain the cheapest rates.
It’s smart to shop coverage around every six months because prices trend upward over time. Just because you had the lowest price on Terrain insurance a few years ago a different company probably has better rates today. You’ll find quite a bit of inaccurate information about car insurance on the web, but I’m going to show you a bunch of ideas how to put money back in your pocket.
Pay less by taking advantage of discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but companies offer discounts that you may not know about. Most are applied when you get a quote, but less common discounts must be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Auto/Life Discount – Larger companies have better rates if you take out life insurance from them.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags can get savings up to 30%.
- Save over 55 – Mature drivers can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10% on Terrain insurance.
- Good Student – Performing well in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less on Terrain insurance than their less cautious counterparts.
- Student in College – Children who live away from home and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Being a homeowner may earn you a small savings because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% on Terrain insurance with a few car insurance companies.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially as compared to drivers who are more careless.
It’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
To see a list of companies with the best car insurance discounts, click here to view.
GMC Terrain rate determination is complex
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get better car insurance rates.
- Pleasure use saves money – The more you drive each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Almost all companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Vehicles that are left in the garage get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Verify your car insurance policy is rated on the correct driver usage. Incorrect usage on your Terrain can result in significantly higher rates.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Your policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you in the event that a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability is cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Your location affects your rates – Being located in a rural area is a positive aspect when insuring your vehicles. Fewer people translates into fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. Drivers who live in large cities regularly have more traffic problems and longer commutes to work. Higher commute times can result in more accidents.
- Being married is a good thing – Having a spouse can get you a discount on your car insurance policy. It means you’re more mature and responsible and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Males pay more for insurance – The statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Both sexes tend to get into accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations such as DWI and reckless driving. Teenage male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Driving your car without having proper coverage is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores are cheaper to insure. Safer cars result in less severe injuries and better occupant protection means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates. If your GMC scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you are probably receiving a discount.
What coverages do I need?
When choosing the best car insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions could help you determine if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- What if I total my GMC Terrain and owe more than it’s worth?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- What are the best liability limits?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form.
Local agents and car insurance
Certain consumers prefer to buy from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. Supporting local agencies is definitely important if you live in a smaller city or town.
By using this short form, the quote information is submitted to agents in your area who will battle to get your business. You never need to drive around because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. How cool is that?! You can find the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping.
Compare rates from both independent and captive auto insurance agents
When finding a good insurance agent, there are two different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move the coverage in-house without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparing rates, we recommend you include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison. Most have the option of insuring with lesser-known insurance companies which may provide better rates.
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents work for only one company and examples are Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Captives cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers frequently buy insurance from these agents primarily because of the brand legacy and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
For a full directory of insurance agencies, click here.
Picking an auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a low price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- How are they compensated?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
Once you have positive responses as well as a affordable price, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide car insurance.
Summing up your car insurance search
Insureds leave their current company for many reasons like lack of trust in their agent, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, denial of a claim and policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new car insurance company can be less work than you think.
In this article, we covered many ideas to shop for GMC Terrain insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with a lesser-known regional company.
The cheapest GMC Terrain insurance is definitely available online and also from your neighborhood agents, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.