Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy high-priced car insurance? Trust us when we tell you you’re not alone. Companies like Allstate, Liberty Mutual and State Farm promote their brand names with ad campaigns and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you have insurance now or are looking for a new policy, you will benefit by learning to shop for the lowest rates and still get good coverage. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Benton is not rocket science. Arkansas vehicle owners only need an understanding of the tricks to buy car insurance on the web.
Why you might pay higher rates in Benton
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are some of the items used by your company to calculate prices.
- Frequent car insurance claims increase rates – If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Companies in Arkansas provide cheaper rates to policyholders who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is intended for the large, substantial claims.
- Where you live is a factor – Choosing to live in less populated areas is a positive aspect when insuring your vehicles. Fewer people translates into fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers in populated Arkansas areas regularly have more traffic problems and longer commute times. Higher commute times translates into higher accident risk.
- Please use or commuting – The higher the mileage driven in a year’s time the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Double check that your car insurance declarations sheet properly reflects the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Allowing your car insurance policy to lapse is a quick way to pay more for car insurance. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may have to file a SR-22 with the Arkansas motor vehicle department.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Your deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and windstorm damage. The more expense the insured has to pay upfront, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Don’t skimp on liability – Your policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when a jury decides you are liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles reduce injuries and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you.
Don’t miss out on these money-saving discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there are discounts available that many people don’t even know exist. Most are applied when you get a quote, but less common discounts must be asked about before being credited. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you are throwing money away.
- Good Student – Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Accident Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially compared to drivers who are more careless.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks on the same car insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger companies have better rates if you take out life insurance from them.
- Paperless Signup – A handful of insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on their website.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free car insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way. Any amount of discount will help reduce your overall premium however.
To choose companies with the best car insurance discounts in Arkansas, follow this link.
Buying car insurance from a local agent
Some people would prefer to buy from a local agent and that is OK! Licensed agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from local businesses is important especially in Benton.
By using this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to participating agents in Benton who will compete for your coverage. You don’t have to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. How cool is that?!
Captive or Independent: There is a difference
If you’re trying to find a good insurance agency, there are two different types of agents from which to choose. Agents can either be independent or captive. While both can do a good job, but it’s important to know the difference between them because it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents do not work for one specific company but rather can write business with multiple insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When searching for an agent, you should always get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.
Below are Benton independent agencies who may be able to give you price quote information.
Progressive Insurance Co – 315 N Market St – Benton, AR 72015 – (501) 315-8011
Jane Ramsey Insurance Svc – 1511 W Sevier St – Benton, AR 72015 – (501) 315-5263
Direct General Ins Agency – 1412 Military Rd – Benton, AR 72015 – (501) 315-2660
These agents have only one company to place business with and examples are Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are not able to compare other company’s rates so they have to upsell other benefits. They are trained well in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below are Benton captive insurance agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
Farm Bureau Insurance – 1700 Hot Springs Hwy – Benton, AR 72015 – (501) 315-0676
State Farm Insurance – 204 Woodland – Benton, AR 72019 – (501) 778-7243
Allstate Insurance – 1225 Hot Springs Hwy – Benton, AR 72015 – (501) 778-6229
Shelter Insurance – 717 Military Rd – Benton, AR 72015 – (501) 315-7731
To view a full list of captive insurance agents in Benton, visit this site.
Deciding on an auto insurance agent requires more thought than just a low price. These questions are important to ask:
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- How are claims handled?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
Once you have positive feedback to any questions you have as well as a affordable price, you may have just found an insurance agency that is a good match to service your policy.
Don’t believe everything you hear
Consumers in Arkansas can’t get away from ads for the lowest price auto insurance from the likes of State Farm and Allstate. They all say the same thing that you’ll save big if you switch your coverage to them.
But how can every company claim to save you money?
All companies can use profiling for the right customer that earns them a profit. For example, a driver they prefer could be between the ages of 40 and 55, owns a home, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. A driver who matches those parameters will get the preferred rates and is almost guaranteed to pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential customers who don’t meet this ideal profile will be quoted more money and this can result in the customer not buying. The ads state “people who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much money. This is how insurance companies can confidently claim big savings.
This emphasizes why drivers must compare as many rates as you can. It’s just too difficult to predict which car insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
But I don’t know anything about car insurance
When it comes to buying the best car insurance coverage, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether you may require specific advice.
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- What is the minimum liability in Arkansas?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Benton?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my vehicle?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
For more Arkansas car insurance information
Additional car insurance information can be found on the website for the Arkansas Insurance Department found here. Consumers can download brochures, view a list of available companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, and file complaints about a company.
These articles may also be worth reading.
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Budget-conscious car insurance can be purchased on the web and with local Benton insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who do not offer online price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.