Overwhelmed by the wide range of auto insurance companies in Derby? You have a lot of company. Drivers have so many options available that it can quickly become more work than you anticipated to find the perfect company for you.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you will be able to reduce your rates substantially using these techniques. Locating the best coverage in Derby is simple if you know the tricks. Nevertheless, Kansas vehicle owners must know the way insurance companies compete online and apply this information to your search.
Why your price might be higher
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Driving with no insurance can get your license suspended and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage have a gap. Not only will rates go up, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance may earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The type of vehicle you own makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. The lowest rates are generally reserved for economy passenger cars, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Getting married can actually save you money on auto insurance. Having a spouse usually means you are more mature and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Too many auto insurance claims drive up costs – Car insurance companies in Kansas generally give discounts to people who file claims infrequently. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance is designed for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Higher safety ratings means cheaper insurance – Safer cars can get you lower premiums. These vehicles result in less severe injuries and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- Traffic violations increase rates – Only having one citation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers have lower premiums than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers with severe tickets like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to file a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Where you reside plays a part – Being located in small towns and rural areas has it’s advantages when insuring your vehicles. Drivers who live in large cities tend to have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
Auto Insurance Prices in Derby, Kansas
Shopping for lower auto insurance rates is a ton of work if you aren’t aware of the most efficient way. You can spend your afternoon driving to agents in Derby, or you can utilize online quotes to get the quickest rates.
Most car insurance companies participate in an industry program where prospective buyers submit their information once, and every company provides a quote for coverage. This eliminates the need for form submissions for every auto insurance company.
To submit your quote information now, click here (opens in new window).
The only downside to getting quotes like this is buyers cannot specifically choose the insurers you will receive quotes from. If you wish to select individual companies for rate comparison, we put together a list of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Kansas. Click to view list.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just make absolute certain that you use identical coverage limits with each company. If you use different limits and deductibles on each one it will be next to impossible to make a fair comparison in Derby. Just a small difference in limits may result in a large different in cost. Keep in mind that getting more free quotes gives you a better chance of getting a better price.
The fine print in auto insurance ads
Companies like Allstate and Progressive continually stream ads in print and on television. All the ads make the same claim that you can save after switching to them. How do they all make almost identical claims?
Different companies have a preferred profile for the type of customer that makes them money. For example, a driver they prefer might be over the age of 50, owns a home, and drives newer vehicles. A customer getting a price quote that hits that “sweet spot” will qualify for the lowest rates and most likely will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who don’t measure up to this ideal profile must pay higher rates and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much money. That’s the way insurance companies can make those claims. This illustrates why you absolutely need to get quotes from several different companies. You cannot predict which auto insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
How much can you save with discounts?
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize all available discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of both the well known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance.
- Accident Waiver – Some insurance companies will forgive one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Good Student – This discount can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Claim Free – Good drivers with no accidents pay less when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for signing up before your current policy expires. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a house in Derby can help you save on auto insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-10.jpg" alt="Derby Kansas car insurance“/>
To see a list of insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Kansas, click here.
Your insurance agent down the street
Some consumers would rather buy from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is that you can obtain the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this form (opens in new window), the quote information is emailed to companies in Derby who will compete for your insurance coverage. There is no need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. It doesn’t get any easier! It’s the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to.
Selecting a company needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. These are valid questions to ask:
- How are claims handled?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- How long has their agency been open in Derby?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
Is a captive or independent insurance agent right for you?
When finding a local agent, there are two types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Derby are categorized either captive or independent (non-captive).
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive insurance agents can only place business with one company and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance and Allstate. They usually cannot shop your coverage around so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers frequently purchase coverage from captives primarily because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Shown below are captive agencies in Derby that are able to give price quote information.
- American Family Insurance – 1033 N Buckner St # 202 – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 788-1526
- Farmers Insurance Group – 101 N Baltimore Ave – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 351-9900
- Allstate Insurance – 218 S Baltimore Ave – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 788-8806
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 1721 Osage Rd # 100 – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 788-5257
- State Farm Insurance – 1105 N Buckner St – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 788-1964
- Shelter Insurance – 124 S Baltimore Ave # B – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 788-4271
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you include price quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison.Many can place coverage with smaller regional carriers which can be an advantage.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in Derby that can give you comparison quotes.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 1721 Osage Rd # 100 – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 788-5257
- Linsey Cutsinger Agency – – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 788-4832
- Coffey Insurance Svc – 421 N Baltimore Ave – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 788-6777
- Ronald Wells Agency – 220 N Baltimore Ave – Derby, KS 67037 – (316) 788-9229
To view a full list of Derby insurance agents, please view this page.
Once you have acceptable answers for all questions you ask as well as a affordable price, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that is a good match to service your policy.
Insurance agents can help
When choosing proper insurance coverage, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Each situation is unique.
For instance, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Kansas?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
More tips and info about auto insurance is available at the Kansas Insurance Department website. Kansas consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, learn about specific coverages, and report car insurance fraud.
One last thing
While you’re price shopping online, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
You just learned a lot of information how to compare auto insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a small mutual company.
Affordable auto insurance is possible both online in addition to many Derby insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. A few companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.