Tired of paying out the nose each month for car insurance? You’re in the same situation as many other Virginia drivers. Big companies like Progressive, State Farm and GEICO persitently shower you with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you have a current car insurance policy or are just looking to switch companies, you can use this information to get lower rates while maximizing coverage. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Chesapeake is not that difficult. Virginia drivers just need to know the proper methods to find the lowest price online.
Fast and Easy Chesapeake Car Insurance Quotes
Lowering your car insurance rates is actually quite simple. All you need to do is spend a few minutes to compare rate quotes online with multiple companies. This can be done in several different ways.
- The easiest and least time consuming way to get quotes is to use a rate comparison form (click to open form in new window). This type of form saves time by eliminating separate quote forms for each company you want a rate for. One form gets rate comparisons from all major companies.
- A slightly less efficient method to shop for car insurance online requires you to visit the website for every company you want to comare and complete a new quote form. For instance, we’ll assume you want rates from State Farm, Allstate and GMAC. To find out each rate you need to go to every website to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to insurance companies in Chesapeake, click here.
- The least recommended method to compare rates is driving to and from local insurance agencies. The internet eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you want the personal advice that only a license agent can provide. It is possible to price shop online but still have the advice of a local agent. We’ll cover that shortly.
However you get your quotes, make absolute certain that you use identical deductibles and coverage limits with each company. If you enter unequal deductibles or liability limits it’s not possible to decipher which rate is best in Chesapeake.
Take discounts and save
Car insurance can cost a lot, buy you may qualify for discounts that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about before you get the savings. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you are throwing money away.
- Student in College – Youth drivers who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings of more than 20%.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more if your company offers it.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like all those discounts means the company will pay you, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any amount of discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
Many Things Influence your Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining your car insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to big savings.
Listed below are some of the factors companies use to determine prices.
- How credit affects car insurance rates – Your credit rating is a big factor in determining your rates. Drivers who have excellent credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower ratings. If your credit can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your by repairing your credit.
- Proper usage rating affects rates – The more you drive each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most insurance companies rate vehicles based on their usage. Vehicles left parked in the garage can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Make sure your car insurance policy properly reflects the correct driver usage, because it can save money.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The performance level of the car you are insuring makes a big difference in determining your rates. The cheapest insurance rates are for low performance passenger cars, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Frequent car insurance claims increase rates – If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Companies in Virginia generally give better rates to people who do not file claims often. Car insurance is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Your stress level may be raising your rates – Occupations like doctors, social workers and stock brokers are shown to have the highest rates because of job stress and lengthy work days. On the other hand, occupations such as pilots, students and the unemployed pay the least.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Safer cars are cheaper to insure. These vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you.
- Multiple policies with one company can save – Many car insurance companies will give a discount to insureds who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal.
What if I want to buy from a local Chesapeake agent?
A small number of people would rather get advice from a local agent. Agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and give you peace of mind. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is you can get better rates and still choose a local agent. And supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Chesapeake.
After filling out this quick form, your coverage information is emailed to insurance agents in Chesapeake who will compete for your coverage. There is no need to drive around as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. Now that’s easy!
Choose the right auto insurance agent
When searching for a local agent, you need to know there are two different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents can either be independent or captive. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning the difference between them because it can impact the selection process.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When shopping rates, it’s recommended you include price quotes from several independent insurance agents for the best price selection.
The following are Chesapeake independent agencies that may be able to provide price quote information.
HW-10 Mid-Atlantic Insurance – 2117 Smith Ave – Chesapeake, VA 23320 – (757) 424-6523
Smith and Sullivan Agency – 1200 Battlefield Blvd N # 113 – Chesapeake, VA 23320 – (757) 436-4800
Robert E Old Jr Agency – 311 Johnstown Rd # B – Chesapeake, VA 23322 – (757) 547-2103
Insurance Doctor Agency Inc – – Chesapeake, VA 23321 – (757) 686-0033
Bob R Fitzgerald Insurance – 817 Greenbrier Pkwy # A – Chesapeake, VA 23320 – (757) 549-8223
Captive agencies are contracted to one company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm and AAA. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below is a list of captive agencies in Chesapeake willing to provide comparison quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 3330 S Military Hwy # 103 – Chesapeake, VA 23323 – (757) 487-4333
Liberty Mutual Insurance – 681 Battlefield Blvd N # C – Chesapeake, VA 23320 – (757) 436-1436
Farmers Insurance Group – 1021 Eden Way N – Chesapeake, VA 23320 – (757) 436-1992
State Farm Insurance – 805 Battlefield Blvd N # 109 – Chesapeake, VA 23320 – (757) 547-4552
Chesapeake Farm Bureau – 552 Battlefield Blvd S – Chesapeake, VA 23322 – (757) 546-8000
For a full directory of captive insurance agencies in Chesapeake, visit this site.
Choosing a car insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- How many years of experience in personal lines insurance coverages do they have?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- How long has their agency been open in Chesapeake?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
Once you have received good answers for all questions you ask and a low price estimate, you’ve probably found an auto insurance agent that will insure your vehicles.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if you might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
Much more information about car insurance in Virginia can be found on the website for the Virginia Bureau of Insurance located here. Virginia consumers can report car insurance fraud, read state legal mandates and laws, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
Smart shoppers get results
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, an insured dropped full coverage and learned later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
The cheapest car insurance can be purchased online and with local Chesapeake insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. Some companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.