Are you a victim of overpriced auto insurance? Trust us, you’re not alone. Drivers have multiple car insurance companies to choose from, and although it’s a good thing to have a selection, so many choices can make it hard to compare company pricing.
It’s a good idea to compare prices quite often due to the fact that insurance rates change regularly. Just because you found the lowest rates a couple years back you may be paying too much now. There is a lot of bad information regarding auto insurance online but we’re going to give you some great ideas on how to stop overpaying for insurance.
Auto Insurance Comparison Rates in Lansing, Kansas
Finding a lower price on insurance is actually quite simple. You just need to take a couple of minutes getting comparison quotes provided by online insurance companies. This can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The first (and easiest) way to find the lowest comparison rates would be an industry-wide quote request form click to view form in new window. This form prevents you from having to do a different quote for each company. One quote request gets you price quotes from all major companies.
- A more difficult way to compare prices is going to the website for each individual company to complete their respective quote request forms. For example, let’s assume you want to compare rates from GEICO, Liberty Mutual and State Farm. To get each rate you have to go to every website and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is quicker. To view a list of companies in Lansing, click here.
- The least recommended way of comparing rate quotes is to spend your day driving to local insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you want the trained guidance of a licensed agent. You can, however, get the lowest quotes online but still have the advice of a local agent. We’ll cover that shortly.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but ensure you are comparing exactly the same coverage limits with every price quote. If you compare unequal deductibles or liability limits it’s not possible to truly determine the lowest rate in Lansing.
Policy discounts you shouldn’t miss
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but discounts can save money and there are some available to reduce the price significantly. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you complete an application, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked about before you get the savings. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you are throwing money away.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Sign Early and Save – A few companies offer discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
- Claim Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts as compared to frequent claim filers.
- Paperwork-free – A few companies may give you up to $50 simply for signing on their website.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky. But all discounts will reduce the cost of coverage.
To choose insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Lansing, click here.
Lower your Lansing Auto Insurance Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that play a part in calculating your auto insurance rates. Understanding what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine premiums.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Letting your insurance expire will be a guaranteed way to bump up your auto insurance costs. Not only will you pay more, getting caught without coverage will get you a license revocation or jail time.You may need to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Kansas department of motor vehicles.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – Your policy’s liability coverage provides coverage if ever you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides legal defense coverage starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Multiple policies with one company can save – Some companies will give a discount to policyholders who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money. Drivers may still find a better deal by insuring with multiple companies.
- Low deductibles can be expensive – Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, collision with an animal, and burglary. Physical damage deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. The more you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Battle of the sexes – Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that men are worse drivers. Men and women are in accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Special features that cut premiums – Driving a car with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder car theft.
Your insurance agent down the street
Certain consumers would rather sit down with an agent and that is just fine! Good agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help you file claims. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is especially important in Lansing.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, the coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Lansing who will compete for your business. You won’t need to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. How’s that for easy!
Best car insurance agent in Lansing
When researching a reliable agent, there are two types of insurance agents that you can select. Lansing agents can either be captive or independent. While both can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth learning the differences since it may influence the selection process.
These agents do not work for one specific company but instead can place your coverage with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparison shopping, it’s a good idea to include several independent insurance agents for maximum quote selection.
Shown below is a short list of independent agents in Lansing that may be able to provide comparison quotes.
Fladung Insurance – 1000 N Main St # 4 – Lansing, KS 66043 – (913) 727-1088
Farm Bureau Insurance – 611 Holiday Plz – Lansing, KS 66043 – (913) 727-3213
Russell Agency – 1000 N Main St # 3 – Lansing, KS 66043 – (913) 727-3925
Captive agencies can only write with one company and some examples include AAA, Allstate and State Farm. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive agents are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents.
Below are captive insurance agents in Lansing willing to provide price quote information.
American Family Insurance – 1000 N Main St # 2 – Lansing, KS 66043 – (913) 727-1423
Farm Bureau Insurance – 611 Holiday Plz – Lansing, KS 66043 – (913) 727-3213
For a complete listing of auto insurance agents in Lansing, please view this page.
Selecting a car insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. These are valid questions to ask:
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Kansas?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- How long has their agency been open in Lansing?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
After getting acceptable answers to any questions you have and a good coverage price, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that can adequately provide auto insurance.
Insurance agents can help
When buying adequate coverage, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Kansas?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- What is the minimum liability in Kansas?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Much more information about auto insurance in Kansas is located on the website for the Kansas Insurance Department. Click here for link. Consumers can file complaints about a company, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find out industry alerts, and get help finding coverage.
Other related articles:
Is there truth in advertising?
Consumers constantly see and hear ads for the lowest price auto insurance by Allstate and Progressive. They all seem to say the same thing about savings if you move to their company.
How does each company make the same claim? This is how they do it.
All companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that is profitable for them. A good example of a profitable customer could be between 25 and 40, owns a home, and has great credit. Any driver who fits that profile receives the best rates and is almost guaranteed to cut their rates substantially.
Potential insureds who fall outside the “perfect” profile must pay more money which leads to business going elsewhere. The ads state “drivers who switch” not “people who quote” save money. That’s why insurance companies can make those claims.
This illustrates why drivers must get quotes from several different companies. It’s just too difficult to predict which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Better coverage you can count on
We just presented a lot of tips how to lower your auto insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from the smaller companies. Smaller companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than their larger competitors like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.