Did you come to the realization that you have overpriced auto insurance? It’s quite common and you’re not the only one. Numerous insurance companies battle for your hard-earned dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every insurance company to get the best rate
You should make it a habit to compare rates at least once a year because auto insurance prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Just because you found the best deal at your last renewal you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate one of the quickest ways to find better coverage at a better price.
If you have insurance now or need a new policy, you can use these tips to shop for the lowest rates and still get good coverage. Finding affordable coverage in Nevada is not rocket science. Iowa drivers just need to know the tricks to compare prices online.
Take advantage of every auto insurance discount
Some companies don’t necessarily list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that may apply to you.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts as much as 30%.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you will save approximately 10% to 15%.
- E-sign Discounts</strong – Certain insurance companies may give you up to $50 on your computer.
- Telematics Data – Drivers who elect to allow their company to track driving manner through the use of a telematics system like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could possibly reduce rates if they have good driving habits.
- Good Student – Getting good grades may save you up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount well after school through age 25.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
You should keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
Large auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be found below.
- State Farm may include discounts for driver’s education, multiple autos, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for homeowner, mature driver, early shopping, multi-car, business and professional, and switch companies.
- GEICO discounts include federal employee, multi-vehicle, military active duty, seat belt use, emergency military deployment, and good student.
- American Family offers premium reductions for good student, good driver, multi-vehicle, Steer into Savings, and TimeAway discount.
- Nationwide has savings for accident-free, multi-policy, good student, defensive driving, and anti-theft.
- Progressive has discounts for good student, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, online quote discount, online signing, and continuous coverage.
Check with each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. A few discounts may not apply everywhere.
Finding auto insurance in Nevada, Iowa
Most major insurance companies provide coverage prices on their websites. Getting online rates is quite simple as you just enter your coverage information into the quote form. When complete, the quote system pulls your credit score and driving record and returns pricing information. Online quotes makes it simple to compare prices but the time it takes to visit several different sites and type in the same data is repetitive and time-consuming. But it’s necessary to do this if you are searching for the lowest auto insurance rates.
Isn’t there an easier way to compare rates?<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-101.jpg" alt="Nevada Iowa car insurance“/>
The smarter way to lower your rates utilizes a single form that obtains quotes from a lot of companies. It saves time, helps eliminate reptitive entry, and makes rate comparisons much more enjoyable. Immediately after submitting the form, it is quoted with multiple companies and you can pick any of the quotes returned.
If one or more price quotes are lower than your current rates, it’s easy to complete the application and buy the new coverage. It only takes a few minutes and can result in significant savings.
To quickly find out if lower rates are available, click here to open in new window and fill out the form. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you complete the form with coverages and limits as close as possible to your current policy. Doing this assures you’re receiving comparison quotes for similar coverage.
Informed consumers save more
Lots of things are considered when premium rates are determined. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, but other factors are more obscure such as your marital status or how financially stable you are.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Most larger auto insurance companies will award lower prices for people that purchase more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you’re getting this discount you still need to shop around to help guarantee you have the best rates.
- Cut premiums and deter theft – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your premiums. Anti-theft features like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all help prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
- No policy gaps is important – Going without insurance can be a guaranteed way to increase your auto insurance rates. In addition to paying higher rates, being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine. You could then be forced to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Iowa DMV.
- Tickets and citations cost more than a fine – How you drive impacts premiums far more than you think. Drivers with clean records get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Only having one ticket can bump up the cost by twenty percent. Drivers with severe violations like DUI or reckless driving may need to maintain a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
- Prices for guys may be higher – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Women and men tend to get into fender benders in similar percentages, but guys tend to have higher claims. Not only that, but men also receive more costly citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
Do drivers who switch really save $398 a year?
Iowa drivers can’t escape the ads for cheaper auto insurance from companies such as State Farm and Allstate. They all have a common claim about saving some big amount just by switching your policy.
How does every company claim to save you money? You have to listen carefully.
Insurance providers are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that will be a good risk. An example of this type of risk profile may need to be over the age of 35, has few claims, and drives a vehicle with a low ISO rating. Any customer that hits that “sweet spot” will get low car insurance rates and as a result will probably cut their rates substantially.
Consumers who cannot meet the ideal profile will be quoted higher rates and ends up with business going elsewhere. The trick is to say “people that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much when switching. This is how companies can make it sound like they have such great prices.
Because each company has a different risk profile, it’s extremely important to quotes as often as possible. Because you cannot predict the company that will fit you best based on your risk profile.
We just showed you some good ideas how to save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding . Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from an unexpected company. They can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
There are still a few companies who don’t offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell coverage through local independent agencies. Cheap auto insurance is available online in addition to many Nevada insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection.
For more Iowa auto insurance information
More information can be read on the Iowa Insurance Division website found here. Consumers can view agent and company licensing information, read state legal mandates and laws, find a variety of consumer forms, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
The following information may also be useful.