Comparison shopping for low cost Wisconsin Rapids auto insurance can seem to be challenging for drivers who are new to online comparison shopping. Drivers have so many agents and companies to choose from that it can quickly become a big hassle to find a more affordable company.
You need to compare premium rates on a regular basis because auto insurance prices change regularly. Even if you got the best deal two years ago you can probably find a better premium rate now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in the proper way to save on auto insurance.
Informed drivers can cut their costs
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of the rating factors that help calculate auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this enables informed choices that can earn you lower premium levels. Many different elements are part of the equation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, although some other factors are more obscure such as your credit history or your commute time.
- Deter car thieves – Owning a car with an alarm system can help lower your rates. Advanced theft deterrents such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can thwart car theft.
- Married drivers get better costs – Having a wife or husband may save some money when shopping for auto insurance. Having a significant other demonstrates that you tend to be more mature than a single person and statistics prove being married results in fewer claims.
- Defend yourself with liability protection – Your policy’s liability coverage will protect you if a court rules you are at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability provides legal defense starting from day one. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- High credit score translates to low premiums – Your credit rating can be a huge factor in your rate calculation. If your credit rating can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score. Insureds with very high credit ratings tend to be better risks to insure than drivers with bad credit.
Auto insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Some companies don’t necessarily list every discount they offer in a way that’s easy to find, so the following list contains a few of the more common and the more hidden discounts that may be available.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with one company you could save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Buying a policy with multiple vehicles on the same auto insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Maintaining low annual mileage could earn substantially lower rates.
- 55 and Retired – Mature drivers may receive better auto insurance rates.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some insurance carriers give a lower premium rate if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Early Switch Discount – A few larger companies give discounts for switching companies prior to your current policy expiring. This can save 10% or more.
Just know that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck.
A few companies that may include some of the above discounts may include but are not limited to:
If you are trying to find , ask every company what discounts are available to you. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply everywhere. If you would like to view providers who offer free auto insurance quotes in Wisconsin, click this link.
Auto insurance myths debunked
Consumers in Wisconsin constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings for switching from the likes of State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. All the ads convey the message about savings just by moving your auto insurance policy to them.
That’s great but how can every company cost less than your current company? It’s all in the words they use.
All companies have specific characteristics for the type of customer that will not have excessive claims. For example, a profitable insured should be over age 30, has a low-risk occupation, and has great credit. Someone that meets those criteria gets the lowest prices and most likely will cut their rates if they switch.
Insureds who do not match the ideal profile may be forced to pay a higher rate which results in business going elsewhere. If you listen to the ad wording, they say “people who switch” not “everyone who quotes” can save as much as they claim. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do.
Because each company has a different risk profile, it is so important to compare often. It’s just too difficult to predict with any certainty which company will have the best prices at this point in time.
Insurance agents can help
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s needs are different.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- Is Wisconsin a no-fault state?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
More information is located on the located here. Visitors are able to download brochures, read consumer alerts, file complaints about a company, and discover disciplinary actions.
One last thing about your coverage
Consumers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as not issuing a premium refund, high rates after DUI convictions, lack of trust in their agent and extreme rates for teen drivers. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a great new company is less work than it seems.
Cheaper auto insurance is possible from both online companies and with local Wisconsin Rapids insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best selection. Some companies may not provide rates over the internet and most of the time these smaller providers sell through independent agents.
In this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to lower your auto insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may be surprised to find that the lowest rates are with a small local company.