If you’ve never shopped for car insurance online, you may be overwhelmed by the sheer number of online car insurance companies and websites all offering big savings in Albany.
Smart consumers take time to compare prices at least once a year since insurance rates tend to go up over time. Even if you got the best rates a couple years back you can probably find a lower rate today. There is a lot of bad advice regarding car insurance on the internet, so we’re going to give you some great ways to stop overpaying for insurance.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always publicize every discount very well, so we break down some of the more common as well as the least known ways to save on car insurance. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver’s ed class in school.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Distant Student – Children living away from home attending college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all occupants to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring more than one vehicle on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
To see a list of providers offering car insurance discounts in Oregon, click here to view.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When choosing the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
For example, these questions may help you determine if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Additional resources for Oregon consumers
More detailed Oregon car insurance information is available at the Oregon Insurance Division website. Visitors are able to read enforcement actions against agents and companies, learn about insurance regulations, find out industry alerts, and download brochures.
More related Albany car insurance information:
- 5 Discounts Albany Consumers Neglect when Buying Car Insurance on the Internet
- Things You Must Know Before Shopping for Albany Georgia Car Insurance Online
A little work can save a LOT of money
Consumers leave their current company for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, policy cancellation, not issuing a premium refund and high prices. Regardless of your reason, switching car insurance companies can be easier than you think.
We just covered a lot of ways to save on car insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even discover the lowest rates come from a smaller regional carrier.
Low-cost car insurance can be purchased both online as well as from independent agents in Albany, so compare prices from both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies don’t offer you the ability to get quotes online and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.