Having to pay for overpriced auto insurance can overdraw your personal savings, especially in this economy. Comparing price quotes is free and is an excellent way to make sure you’re not throwing money away.
Insurance companies such as State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate all promote huge savings with advertising and it is challenging if not impossible to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and take the time to shop coverage around.
You probably qualify for some discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there are discounts available to cut the cost considerably. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you purchase, but less common discounts must be asked about prior to getting the savings.
- Safety Course Discount – Successfully completing a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids living away from home attending college without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- Good Student Discount – A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Sign Online – A few companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy online.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Insuring multiple cars or trucks on one policy qualifies for this discount.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will reduce the cost of coverage.
For a list of providers offering auto insurance discounts in Evans, follow this link.
Get Cheaper Rates by Understanding Pricing
It’s important that you understand the factors that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what determines base rates enables informed choices that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. The more money you’re willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – Liability coverage provides coverage in the event that a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than bad drivers. Even a single speeding ticket can bump up the cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who get serious violations such as DUI or reckless driving may be required to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart auto theft.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Cars with high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies and thus lower rates.
- High credit ratings translate to low rates – Credit rating is a huge factor in your rate calculation. People with high credit scores tend to be more responsible than drivers who have poor credit. If your credit history can use some improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Rates may be higher depending on your occupation – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations like lawyers, social workers and stock brokers have the highest rates in part from job stress and long work hours. On the other hand, jobs such as pilots, students and performers get better rates.
- Marriage pays dividends – Having a spouse actually saves money on auto insurance. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature and responsible and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine whether you could use an agent’s help.
- Are my friends covered when driving my vehicle?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Evans?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Is Colorado a no-fault state?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Neighborhood agents for auto insurance
Some consumers prefer to buy from a local agent. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find better rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local businesses is important especially in Evans.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will give you bids for your coverage. You don’t have to leave your computer as quotes are delivered to your email. Now that’s easy! It’s the lowest rates and work with a local agent.
Listed below are agents in Evans willing to provide comparison quotes.
Dean Anderson Insurance – 1101 36th St, Evans, CO 80620 – (970) 330-3344
Picking an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- How long has their agency been open in Evans?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
After receiving positive feedback to your questions and an acceptable price quote, you may have just found an insurer that is a good match to properly insure your vehicles.
Additional information is located on the website for the Colorado DORA Division of Insurance found here. Colorado drivers can download brochures, learn about specific coverages, and find out industry alerts.
Other related articles:
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced full coverage and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can reduce auto insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the best price on auto insurance is with the least-expected company. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Lower-priced auto insurance is available on the web and also from your neighborhood Evans agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.