Trying to come up with a payment for high-priced auto insurance can take a big chunk out of your funds and force you to make tough financial choices. Performing a price comparison can help to ensure you are getting the best deal.
There is such a variety of auto insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and even though it’s nice to be able to choose, it can be more challenging to get the best deal.
Consumers need to do rate comparisons periodically since prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you got the lowest price six months ago other companies may now be cheaper. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I’m going to teach you the only way to find lower rates on auto insurance.
Discounts for lower North Carolina auto insurance rates
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always list the entire discount list very well, so here is a list both the well known and also the lesser-known ways to save on auto insurance.
- Homeowners Savings – Just owning your own home can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking time to complete a defensive driving class could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- New Car Discount – Buying a new car instead of a used car can get you a discount due to better safety requirements for newer models.
- Senior Citizen Rates – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may be able to get a slight reduction on a .
- Theft Prevention System – Cars and trucks that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and that can save you a little bit as well.
- No Claims – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims are rewarded with significantly better rates on compared to bad drivers.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but companies like Progressive, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual will turn a blind eye to one accident without the usual rate increase if your claims history is clear for a specific time period.
- Drive Less and Save – Low annual miles could earn substantially lower rates.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few insurance companies give discounts for switching policies before your current coverage expires. You may see this discount when you get .
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Select insurance carriers reward you with a discounted price on car insurance if you buy life insurance.
You can save money using discounts, but most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like all those discounts means the company will pay you, nobody gets a free ride. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your policy premiums.
To locate providers who offer online auto insurance quotes in North Carolina, click this link.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions can aid in determining if your situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
More North Carolina auto insurance resources
Additional detailed information can be read at the North Carolina Department of Insurance website. North Carolina drivers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, learn about specific coverages, read consumer alerts, and report car insurance fraud.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how to reduce auto insurance rates online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may even find the lowest rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Regional companies may have significantly lower car insurance rates on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the lowest possible cost and still be able to protect your assets.