If you are new to getting , you may be overwhelmed by the crazy number of online car insurance companies and websites all claiming to have the lowest rates.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to save some money using this strategy. The purpose of this article is to let you in on how to get online quotes and some money-saving tips. Although South Carolina consumers need to have an understanding of the methods companies use to price online insurance and take advantage of how the system works.
There are several ways you can shop for car insurance but there is one way that is less time-consuming than others. You can waste hours discussing policy coverages with insurance companies in Edgefield, or you could use online quotes for quick rates.
Many of the larger companies are enrolled in a marketplace where prospective buyers submit their information once, and each participating company can give them a price. This system prevents you from having to do quote requests for every car insurance company.
To compare rates now click here (opens in new window).
The one disadvantage to using this type of system is buyers cannot specifically choose which companies you will receive quotes from. If you wish to select specific insurance companies to compare prices, we have assembled a list of car insurance companies in South Carolina. Click here to view list.
The approach you take is up to you, just double check that you are using exactly the same quote information for every company. If each company quotes mixed coverages you will not be able to get a fair rate comparison in Edgefield. Having just a slight variation in limits could skew the results. Just keep in mind that comparing more quotes provides better odds of finding the best price. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online rate quotes, so you also need to get prices on coverage from those companies, too.
Cheaper Edgefield car insurance rates with discounts
Some companies don’t always list every possible discount very well, so we break down some of the more common and the more hidden car insurance savings.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment could provide a small rate reduction depending on your car insurance provider.
- Active Service Discounts – Having an actively deployed family member could qualify you for better car insurance rates.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select companies reward you with a lower premium rate if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Theft Deterent – Cars and trucks with anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Telematics Devices – Edgefield drivers who agree to allow data collection to track driving habits remotely such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive could see a rate decrease if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Low Miles Discount – Fewer annual miles may allow you to get lower car insurancerates due to less chance of an accident.
One thing to note about discounts is that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think you could get a free car insurance policy, it’s just not the way it works.
Popular car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts can be found below.
- Progressive has savings for continuous coverage, online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, good student, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for accident prevention training, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, teen safe driver, anti-theft, and homeowner.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including accident-free, multi-vehicle, Steer into Savings, bundled insurance, defensive driver, and good student.
- MetLife offers discounts for good driver, defensive driver, good student, accident-free, multi-policy, claim-free
- GEICO offers discounts including multi-vehicle, membership and employees, good student, defensive driver, and daytime running lights.
- The Hartford may include discounts for anti-theft, driver training, air bag, bundle, and good student.
Double check with each company or agent the best way to save money. Savings might not be offered in Edgefield. To locate providers offering car insurance discounts in South Carolina, follow this link.
Additional detailed information is available at the South Carolina Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to download brochures, find out industry alerts, read industry bulletins, and view agent and company licensing information.