I can’t think of a single person who likes having to buy auto insurance, especially when they are paying too much.
Multiple insurance companies compete for your hard-earned dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare auto insurance companies and get the best coverage at the lowest price
You should make it a habit to get comparison quotes yearly since rates change regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest price last year there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Starting now, block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re going to learn the fastest and easiest way to lower your annual insurance bill.
If you have car insurance now, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using these tips. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Ridgewood is easy if you know what you’re doing. Although New Jersey vehicle owners can benefit from knowing how companies market on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. Most are applied when you get a quote, but less common discounts must be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower rates.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles prevent accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- New Car Discount – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less since new cars are generally safer.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for more than one vehicle on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in Ridgewood can save you money because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Good Students Pay Less – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will reduce your overall premium however.
To choose insurance companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Ridgewood, click here.
Smart Buyers can Save Money
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to big savings.
Listed below are some of the items used by your company to calculate prices.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Mature drivers are more cautious drivers, statistically cause fewer accidents and get fewer tickets. Teenage drivers tend to be more careless in a vehicle and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – Your credit score is a huge factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. So if your credit is lower than you’d like, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your rating. People with high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers who have poor credit.
- Discounts for married couples – Getting married can actually save you money on your policy. Having a significant other means you’re more responsible it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Where you reside plays a part – Residing in a rural area can save you money when talking about auto insurance. City drivers have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than people who have multiple driving citations. Just one speeding ticket can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have severe citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Driving with no insurance is a misdemeanor and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage lapse. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage can result in a revoked license or a big fine.
- Better crash test results mean better rates – Vehicles with high crash test scores can get you lower premiums. Safer cars result in less severe injuries and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When buying coverage, there is no cookie cutter policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Ridgewood?
- When should I not file a claim?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in New Jersey?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
If you’re not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Learn more about auto insurance in New Jersey
More information can be read on the website for the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance through this link. New Jersey consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and learn about insurance regulations.
One last thing about your coverage
As you shop your coverage around, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The aim is to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford.
Low-cost auto insurance can be found online in addition to many Ridgewood insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who do not provide online price quotes and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.