Shopping for affordable Milwaukie auto insurance online can be impossible for consumers not familiar with buying insurance online. With so many online companies, how can you have a chance to compare them all to find the cheapest available price?
Consumers should take time to shop coverage around on a regular basis because prices change frequently. Even if you think you had the best rates six months ago a different company probably has better rates today. Starting right now, ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re going to learn the quickest way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Save Money with These Tips
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that help determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Rural vs Urban Areas – Being located in a small town has it’s advantages when talking about auto insurance. Lower population means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers who live in large Oregon cities have congested traffic and much longer commute distances. More time commuting means more change of being in an accident.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a sure-fire way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay more, getting caught without coverage can result in a steep fine or even jail time.You may then be required to file a SR-22 with the Oregon department of motor vehicles.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Owning a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention features like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can help prevent your car from being stolen.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Liability insurance will protect you if ever you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Adjust deductibles and save – The deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay before your auto insurance pays a claim. Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims could be running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and burglary. The more money you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Performance level impacts rates – The make and model of the car you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in your rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
Don’t miss these discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but companies offer discounts that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but a few need to be asked for before you get the savings.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Resident Student – Children who are attending college and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Senior Discount – Older drivers may be able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Good Student – Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Multiple Cars – Buying insurance for all your vehicles on the same auto insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Early Signing – A few companies offer discounts for switching policies before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce the cost of coverage.
For a list of providers with discount auto insurance rates in Oregon, follow this link.
Are insurance agents obsolete?
Some consumers would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find better rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting small agencies is important particularly in Milwaukie.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to companies in Milwaukie who will give you bids for your coverage. You don’t have to even leave your home as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier! You can find better rates and work with a local agent.
To view licensed agents in Milwaukie, please view this page.
Selecting a company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Some important questions to ask are:
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
Upon receiving positive responses to any questions you have and an acceptable price quote, it’s possible that you found an insurer that is a good match to properly service your auto insurance policy.
Buyer beware of auto insurance advertising tricks
Auto insurance companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with ads in print and on television. They all seem to say the same thing that you’ll save big if you switch to them. How can each company make almost identical claims?
All the different companies can use profiling for the driver that makes them money. An example of a preferred risk might be between 25 and 40, insures multiple vehicles, and has a short commute. A customer who matches those parameters receives the best rates and is almost guaranteed to pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who don’t meet the requirements will have to pay more money which leads to the customer not buying. Company advertisements say “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. That’s the way companies can state the savings.
Because of the profiling, it is so important to compare as many rates as you can. It is impossible to predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
To find out more about Oregon auto insurance
Much more information about auto insurance in Oregon can be found on the Oregon Insurance Division website located here. Oregon drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, view a list of available companies, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
We covered many ideas to compare auto insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Drivers may discover the best price on auto insurance is with a smaller regional carrier.
Discount auto insurance is attainable both online and with local Milwaukie insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. A few companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price.