Expensive auto insurance can sap your savings and make it hard to pay other bills. Getting a rate comparison is recommended to make ends meet.
Drivers have many auto insurance companies to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, so many choices can make it hard to find the lowest cost provider.
Buying car insurance in Port Townsend is quite easy. If you currently have car insurance, you will be able to cut costs considerably using these techniques. Washington drivers only need to know the most efficient way to get comparison rates on the web.
Seven ways to find auto insurance cheaper in Port Townsend
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the rating factors that aid in calculating auto insurance rates. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find lower premium levels.
- Add-on coverages can cost a lot – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that sound like a good idea at the time if you don’t pay attention. Coverages like vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. You may think they are a good idea when buying your policy, but if you don’t need them consider taking them off your policy.
- How many miles do you drive? – The more miles you rack up on your car annually the more you’ll pay to insure it. The majority of insurers charge rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks that sit idle most of the time cost less to insure than cars that get driven a lot. It’s always a good idea to double check that your auto insurance declarations sheet is showing the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Good drivers pay the best rates – Drivers with clean records tend to pay less for car insurance compared to bad drivers. Just one ticket can increase the cost of insurance to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers with flagrant tickets such as reckless driving or DUI are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to legally drive a vehicle.
- Pay more if you have a long commute – Being located in a small town is a good thing when talking about auto insurance. Urban drivers tend to have much more traffic and longer commutes to work. Fewer people translates into fewer accident claims as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Better premiums with anti-theft devices – Selecting a car model with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Certain occupations pay higher premiums – Do you have a high-stress occupation? Careers like fire fighters, executives and accountants generally pay higher rates than the rest of us because of high stress levels and lots of time spent away from family. Conversely, occupations such as scientists, engineers and retirees have lower than average premiums.
- Mature drivers pay less – Beginning drivers in Washington are statistically proven to be inattentive when behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. Having to add a youthful driver onto your auto insurance can really hurt. Older, more experienced drivers are more cautious drivers, are lower risk to insure and get fewer tickets.
Find discounts to get cheap Port Townsend auto insurance rates
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always advertise their entire list of discounts very clearly, so the next list breaks down some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious ways to save on auto insurance.
- Senior Citizens – If you’re over the age of 55, you could receive better auto insurance rates.
- Memberships – Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in Port Townsend could qualify you for a break when shopping for auto insurance.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Accident-free drivers may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accidents.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like GEICO, Progressive, and Allstate will let one accident slide without the usual rate increase so long as you haven’t had any claims for a specific time period.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Auto insurance companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to buckle up may be able to save a few bucks off the medical payments premium.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to participate in a local driver’s education class as it can save substantially.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking time to complete a course in defensive driver could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car instead of a used car can get you a discount because newer vehicles are generally safer.
One last thing about discounts, most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, that’s just not realistic.
To view insurance companies that offer discounts in Port Townsend, click this link.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When buying the best auto insurance coverage, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is unique and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Is Washington a no-fault state?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Additional auto insurance links
Additional detailed information can be read at the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner website. Washington consumers can download brochures, view a list of available companies, file complaints about a company, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
A tidy conclusion
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can shop for auto insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting . Consumers may even find the best car insurance rates are with the least-expected company. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Affordable auto insurance is possible online and also from your neighborhood Port Townsend agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who do not provide online rate quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell coverage through local independent agencies.
As you shop your coverage around, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best cost while still protecting your assets.